Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

My Ipad is disabled,because I forgot my passcode.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To get your iPad up and running again, you will need to restore your iPad via iTunes. This will wipe your iPad clean and set it back to manufacture settings. Do you have a backup?

Customer:

I am not real computer knowledge, so I do have a computer and my understanding is that I can use this for a back up. However I have no idea on how to do this.

Michelle :

If you have not backed up your iPad, the only way to get it up and running is to restore it. Do you have anything on there that you are concerned about loosing?

Customer:

Yes I have documents that I have save and password XXXXX What will I lose?

Michelle :

You will loose everything. Lets check itunes to see if by chance you backed it up. Do you also own an iphone or ipod touch?

Customer:

NO

Michelle :

Then lets check iTunes for a backup. Open itunes and choose Edit. Then choose preferences

Customer:

I will connect to my itune account on this computer, give me just a second. Is this going to cost more than $38.00?

Michelle :

No. You will only pay a one time fee

Michelle :

Let me know when you have itunes open

Michelle :

Were you able to launch iTunes?

Customer:

Do I just want the regular Itune site

Michelle :

Its actually an application. Its not on the web. If you do not have itunes installed, you can click here to install it. This link will open up in a separate window http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer:

Okay just give me a second

Michelle :

Sure. I will stand by

Customer:

I Have downloaded itunes, what do I do next

Michelle :

If it is downloaded, go a head and open it

Customer:

It is open

Michelle :

Now if it was not on your computer previously, then it definitely could not have backed up your iPad. Do you know if you were signed into iCloud on your iPad

Customer:

I had just downloaded this latest update and I think that it was a update to cloud

Michelle :

The update was for the operating system. Lets check itunes anyway before we proceed. Click on Edit in the top menu bar in itunes and then select preferences

Customer:

Okay give me a sec

Michelle :

Okay

Michelle :

Let me know if you are having difficulties locating Edit in the top menu bar in iTunes

Customer:

Yes I am

Michelle :

In the very very top of you screen is the menu bar . If itunes is open, you will see itunes in the upper left corner. Do you see where it says itunes

Customer:

No, but I did find my account

Michelle :

What account are you referring to. Is this in itunes?

Customer:

Yes it is in Itunes

Michelle :

You may be referring to your iPad. Is itunes showing you a picture of your iPad

Customer:

No

Michelle :

Before we move forward. I want to make sure you are aware that you iPad will need to be restored which erases everything. Since itunes did not back up your iPad. The only other route is to see if iCloud may have backed it up. Do you have an Apple ID (used to make itunes and app store purchases)

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Click on this link and sign in using your apple ID and password https://www.icloud.com/ This link will open up in a new window

Customer:

okay

Michelle :

After signing in, do you see a series of icons like contacts calendar etc?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Click on contacts and let me know if your contacts appear

Customer:

No they did not appear

Michelle :

Im sorry, this means you were not backed up to icloud or itunes so you will loose everything on your iPad

Customer:

Is there any way to reset the passcode

Michelle :

For security reasons, the only way to reset the passcode is to restore it

Customer:

And the only way is thru icloud or itunes?

Michelle :

Yes the only two options of backing up your iPad is via iCloud or iTunes.

Customer:

Okay what do we do?

Michelle :

We will restore your iPad . Once you are up and running again, you can sign in to icloud using your Apple ID so your backups can happen automatically.

Customer:

Okay

Michelle :

To restore your iPad connect your iPad to your computer and open itunes. Next, Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Customer:

Okay I got the apple symbol and Now it is asking If I want to restore the Ipad

Michelle :

Choose restore

Michelle :

It should take about 15 mins. I will stand by until it is done

Customer:

Okay it is downloading

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

I just got a message that Itunes cannot connect to the IPad because the Ipad is is protected with a passcode. It is telling me to enter the passcode on the Ipad so Itunes can connect. However it still appears to be downloading

Michelle :

You may have not placed it into recovery mode correctly. Press and hold both buttons until a connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to press and hold both buttons even when you see the apple logo

Customer:

I did it again and now it says that it is extracting the software

Michelle :

Good! Now lets wait until it is done

Customer:

I got back another error saying that the software could not be restored error 3194

Michelle :

That error means you will need to update itunes. Hit restore again and see if it prompts you to update itunes

Customer:

I tried and now it is trying to update the software on the Ipad again.

Michelle :

It will probably give you that error message again. Do you see Help in the top menu bar?

Customer:

Let me check

Michelle :

Ok.

Michelle :

It is located where it says File..Edit etc

Customer:

Yes I found it

Michelle :

Ok within Help, choose about iTunes

Michelle :

Can you read me your iTunes version

Michelle :

You will see words scrolling up

Customer:

I am so sorry about all of this, but it does not give me an option for about itunes. Let me look at one other thing

Michelle :

It should be the first option under help. Are you on a Mac or PC?

Customer:

PC

Michelle :

Ok lets see if it gives you an error message again.

Customer:

So I should try the download again

Michelle :

Lets wait until itunes will give you error 3194 again so we don't interrupt it. Is it still downloading?

Customer:

Yes I got the error 3194 again

Michelle :

Ok. Go ahead and update itunes. Quit itunes first. (Choose File> Quit)

Michelle :

Then click on this link to install itunes http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer:

Okay

Michelle :

Make sure it downloads and installs

Customer:

Okay so now it says that I have downloaded itunes

Michelle :

Is there an option to run and install?

Customer:

Not that I can find

Michelle :

What is currently displaying on your screen?

Michelle :

After it finished downloading, what did it say?

Customer:

Thank you for downloading itunes and then do you want to explore the features

Michelle :

There should be a pop up box after you initiated the download

Michelle :

At the bottom of your screen, is there an itunes icon?

Michelle :

If not, move all of your open pages out of the way to see if an itunes download is open in the background

Customer:

I found it I believe just finishing the download

Michelle :

Does it give you a congratulation screen?

Customer:

not et

Customer:

Sorry,not yet

Michelle :

So is it in currently installing?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

Good. When it is done, I believe it will give you a congratulation screen.

Customer:

I just got the congratulation sign

Michelle :

Good. Click finish and then open iTunes

Customer:

I did already

Michelle :

Your iPad should still be in recovery mode. You can go ahead and restore

Customer:

okay I will start

Michelle :

I will stand by

Michelle :

How is it going so far? Any errors?

Customer:

I got one error, but I reset it. the Itune page did not give a congratulation or any thing

Michelle :

I really need to know what version of itunes you are running to make sure your iPad restores. Can you click on Help at the top menu option and choose about iTunes

Customer:

The down load did not work the pad is still disable. I will go to help and see if I can get you that information.,

Michelle :

Is that the only computer that you have access to?

Customer:

I found it Itunes 11.1.0.126, and yes this is the only computer that I have access to right now. I could go to my daughters and see if I can borrow hers.

Michelle :

That is the current version of itunes. Is your daughters computer with you now?

Customer:

No, and she is at work

Michelle :

Its ok. Lets try placing your iPad into recovery mode a different way. Close itunes and disconnect your ipad. Then power your ipad off. To power it off, press and hold the button in the upper right corner and then slide to power off

Customer:

Okay I just did that

Michelle :

Next, open itunes. Make sure your iPad is off and disconnected

Customer:

I opened Itunes

Michelle :

Now press and hold the home button on your iPad. While still holding down the home button, connect your ipad back to your computer and continue to hold down the home button until your ipad shows up in recovery mode. The home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Customer:

the only thing is that the ipad is sat\ying connect to itunes

Michelle :

Thats actually good. Thats what should be displaying. Now in itunes on your computer, does it show up in recovery mdoe?

Michelle :

mode?

Customer:

Yes it is in recovery mode, and want to know if I want to restore

Michelle :

Yes, press restore

Michelle :

Lets hope your Computer or iPad will cooperate this time :)

Customer:

Okay I think we have success give me a few more minutes

Michelle :

Take all the time..

Customer:

So Itunes said that it has completed snyc, do I need to turn the Ipad back on

Michelle :

The iPad should boot. What is displaying on your iPad?

Customer:

It is saying hello and is now asking to choose a network.

Michelle :

Perfect. Choose your home wireless network

Customer:

Now it is asking for locations services.

Michelle :

Choose to enable. It will also ask you to set up a passcode again. Choose Don't set up passcode

Michelle :

It is tricky but it will be in blue and in the center

Customer:

It did not ask for a passwork, but asked if I want to set up new ipad, restore from icloud backup or itunes backup.

Michelle :

Lets see by chance if there is a backup. iCloud backup

Customer:

working on it

Customer:

no back in icloud, restore from Itunes?

Michelle :

Yes, try itunes?/

Customer:

So i hit Itune and the ipad says connect to itunes, but the itune screen is saying any thing

Michelle :

in itunes, does it show any available backups?

Customer:

It shows backup or restore from backup

Michelle :

Choose restore from Backup. If anything was backed up, it will show dates and time

Customer:

Well there was a back up in Nov of 2011, and so what ever that was it was restored, The Ipad is asking to restore to a restore from Itunes backup again

Michelle :

Well Old data is better than no data. So if you are ok with restoring from 2011, you can choose restore from backup

Customer:

Well I tried that and it does not seem to do anything, perhaps we should just set up as new ipad

Michelle :

Lets to that. Press the home button on your iPad to wake it up

Michelle :

What is it asking you?

Customer:

I went to the back button and it is asking if I want to set up new ipad

Michelle :

Choose set up as new iPad.

Customer:

Asking if I want to us icloud or not

Michelle :

YES!

Michelle :

iCloud is amazing. It backs up your entire ipad wirelessly and it is free

Customer:

should I use find my ipad or dont use find my ipad

Michelle :

Yes

Customer:

Yes find my ipad

Michelle :

Yes you can enable Find my iPad

Customer:

And do not add passcode

Michelle :

That is correct

Customer:

Diagnostics - Automatically Send for dont send

Michelle :

Automatically send

Customer:

well we have success we now have a new screen, but it appears that I have lost everything, but that is okay. Is there anything else that I should do?

Michelle :

You are all set! Im so sorry that we were not able to restore your data. iCloud now backs up your iPad incase a restore is needed. Is there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Yes one last thing, first I want to thank you for your help and patience. I cracked the screen and I have been told that you can use clear duct tape to hold the screen until you can get it repaired. Is that true

Michelle :

Yes you can. Especially if your at risk of getting cut while using it.

Customer:

Thanks so much

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I also appreciate your patiences throughout this entire process.

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking today. You can now provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.