Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

My ipad asks for a passcode when I turn it on, but I never

My ipad asks for a passcode when I turn it on, but I never set one. When I tried to connect to itunes to reset it I got the message that the ipad was locked and it couldn't open it. How can I get the ipad to turn on and reset it?

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

You will have to restore the iPad to a base firmware install, which will erase everything on the iPad, but you can later restore the contents of the iPad to a backup that you have on the computer (the same computer you used in the past to sync the phone with):
- Press and hold the top power button until the iPad turns off
- Connect the iPad to the computer that you have been using the phone and iTunes with
- Hold down the HOME button on the front while pressing the Power button (continue holding the home button)
- Continue to hold the HOME button until you see the "Connected to iTunes" message
Option 1: In the Summary tab, click Restore and follow the prompts. (THIS WILL ERASE everything on the iPad and make it just as it was when you first purchased the phone).
Option 2: Click the button on the top right of the iTunes window for your (iPad) and then click the Restore button.
- Once that is complete, right click the iPad listing in the left panel of the iTunes window
- Choose "Restore from Backup"
- Choose a backup date and restore.

Now your iPad will be back up and have all the restored information from your last sync.

If you have any questions, I am available to continue.