Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am trying to transfer a 6gb home movie to an external HD

I am trying to transfer a 6gb home movie to an external HD that has 14gb available. (My MacBook hard drive is too full.) However, when I try to do this, I keep getting told that The item “e.SFM-VHS-4.mov” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format." If I have more than twice as many gb available on my remote drive, why can't I copy a 6gb file onto that remote drive?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

The external hard drive, if you select your external hard drive in the finder , and then hit command I on the external hard drive.

It shoudl tell us what format the drive is in.

Is it in Fat 32 , or mac os extended ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Working on it.

Take your time George, and if you run into any issues finding out that info, let me know.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is FAT32

Thats the issue then George.. To tranfer a file of that size onto a hard drive, the mac needs the drive to be formatted as a mac extended os journal.

( if you have data on the drive, you will definitely want to move it off the drive before formatting, as formatting will erase the drive )

Heres how to format the drive

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3509

Again, notice that you have to erase it first... And then format it to the correct " format "

Once thats done, you will be able to move larger files than a fat32 drive will allow.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ouch. I don't know where I'll put the data from the external drive. I don't have that kind of space on my laptop HD.

I have something else to do right now, for up to half an hour. Then I'll see what I can do.

If formatting isnt an option.. There are options you can use to split the video file into smaller manageable parts..

Such as with quicktime player ..

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/15/split-large-movie-files-quickly-with-quicktime-player-7/

and also this app for 15$ which splits video files..

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38302/splitmovies

I realize that you may not be able to look over these options for some time and thats fine George.. Take your time I'll be here all day!

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am working on clearing the external disk so I can reformat it. I have a 2TB external drive and hope I can get everything on it. Then I'll have to reverse the process and reformat the 2TB disk, as it is also FAT32.

I'll also keep in mind the alternate suggestion, though I'd like to avoid that if I can.

All this takes time, but I probably won't be "back" until tomorrow.

Understood George, and for reference, I will only respond to replies you send me..

I have no need or purpose to rush you as I often work with clients over the course of weeks and even months.

However, you may see automated reminders that are sent out by the website, please feel free to respond at your own pace and leisure regardless of the messages you may receive.

See you tommorow, or when its convenient for you.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have reformatted my 250 GB external drive and am ready to begin copying data from theXXXXX I probably won't have enough space but will see.

The question was asked if I wanted to use Time Machine for automatic backup. What is Time Machine?

Time machine, is macs backup feature for the files , documents, programs you choose.. ( or that you dont choose to exclude )

It allows a chronological backup, such as.. This is what files you had on july 20th, this is what files you had on auguts 2, 3, 10 th.. This is what files you have on september 29th..

Its actually quite effective.. However, right now since space is an issue, i wouldnt set it up.. Because it will quickly over the course of a month or two chew up a whole lot of storage space..

For now, I would focus on getting the data transferred and the drives formatting properly..

If you wanted to go into time machine, you would want theXXXXXfor those backups.. And, you would want roughly 500 gigabytes of space free on the drive, so that you dont run through the space anytime soon.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help.