Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Apple iBook G4 Mac notebook looses its security SSID Code

My Apple iBook G4 Mac notebook looses its security SSID Code after rebooting computer. Tell how to save the security SSID wireless code, so I will not have enter the code every time I login to the computer.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can do some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First turn off Airport on your Mac. Then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder and trash the file named

Then reset the Keychain database of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

1. Open Keychain Access from Applications > Utilities folder
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
  6. Restart your computer.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got down to reset my default keychain, but could not fine Preferences in the keychain access menu.

Sorry for the delay Bill. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OS X 10.3.9

Follow these steps below Bill.

1. Open Keychain Access
  2. From the Window menu, choose Keychain First Aid.
  3. Click Options...
  4. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  5. Authenticate with your account login password.
  6. Quit Keychain Access.
  7. Restart your computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When going to Macintash HD >Applications >utitilies >keychain access I get Keychan login (unlocked) with 1 item in the box that reads safari forms autofill application password created today 10:19 AM

Try deleting the Keychain preference files. Close Keychain Access application, go to Users > Your Name or home folder > Library > Preferences folder trash these files.

Then try to connect to your WiFi. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to this fold and found no***** files to trash.

Can you see any plist files related to keychain in Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences ?

Also, open Keychain Access from Applications > Utilities folder. In Keychain Access application, do you see a Window menu in the top ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When clicking on keychain Access the next screen that pops up is the Keychan: login (unlocked) window. There is no window menu at the top. There is some icons password note delete go lock show keychains

hmm..Goto Macintosh HD > Users > your user name > Library folder and can you see a folder named Keychain in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and when clicking on it a folder called login.keychain is shown

Trash that entire Keychain folder from there (Library). Make sure to quit Keychain Access application before trashing it. Now, check WiFi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still having the same problem. When I log out of computer by restarting of shutting down the computer I lose the wireless code and have to type it in every time to get on internet.

Create a new admin user account from System Preferences > Accounts. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. The connect to the WiFi in that account. Now check whether you have the same problem on that account.

Bill, can you try these steps again ?

1. Open Keychain Access. In Keychain Access application, ingore any message you receive.
  2. From the Window menu (Window menu is on the top bar), choose Keychain First Aid.
  3. Click Options...
  6. Quit Keychain Access.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is related to Keychain since Mac save all the password XXXXX Keychain. It seems like the wireless password XXXXX XXXXX getting saved to the Keychain.

If you can't reset it, then select all entries in Keychain and delete them by pressing the delete button on keyboard. Delete all entries and everything in Keychain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That appears to have solved the problem. Can you send me all the text of what we did so in case this happens again, I will know what to do. Question is the password XXXXX keychain saved the same as the login password XXXXX with the ID name.

Yes, Keychain is same as login password. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can refer this thread or get back to me any time you want.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the help.

You're most welcome ! Don't forget to rate me Positively, so that I will get credit for helping you.