John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hi this is a really sensitive difficult question but Im hoping

Hi this is a really sensitive difficult question but I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me please. I have the apple id and password XXXXX someone very close to me who passed away recently and I want to do a restore from their icloud backup so I can have all our messages back which I deleted and do not have in my backups. His phone may become active again as next of kin got it. I do not want to use the iPhone I use for the backup for anything other than having the information from his last backup. So I don't want to receive any iMessages, I don't want the time stamp to update in whatsapp, I just want what was on the phone during the last backup. How can I make this possible?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Your best bet is to restore from iCloud, then use a third party utility to pull the data from the iPhone that you wish to keep.

One popular option is iExplorer:
http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/
The trial version may work for this purpose.

If you wish to keep this content on the iPhone longterm, to prevent the iPhone from changing status and settings server-side afterwards then you can turn off data options such as Settings > Cellular and Settings > Wi-Fi. Also sign out of iTunes & App Store, Messages, and Facetime in Settings, as well.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and excellent ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi thanks for your answer. I just need to clarify a few things, will I need to put a SIM card in an iPhone to do the restore? Will the original iPhone with the data on be affected in any way? I want to keep the data on long term, I won't be using the iPhone for anything other than keeping hold of the data. I will need wifi to do the restore won't I in the first instance then I need to manually turn off wifi, iMessage, FaceTime. Is there anything else? What Im trying to achieve is that basically I have all the data from the last back up but then the iPhone basically is inactive to any new data and does not appear anywhere. Thanks for you help so far.
Hi again,

you shouldn't need the original phone's SIM if that's what you are asking. iCloud back ups are not tied to hardware, only to the Apple ID. However, as in any other case, you would likely need a SIM to "Activate" the iPhone but an active wireless plan is not required.

Other than that, you will need wi-fi to do the restore but, yes, then manually turn off wifi, iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud, iTunes & App Store, etc... With Wi-Fi off and all cellular data turned off (you can even put the iPhone in Airplane mode) it should simply act as an iPod with no internet connection.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, lastly, should I delete the icloud account from the iPhone I will be using?
Once the restore is complete, yes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry