Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a Mac OS X version 10.5.8 and I have been receiving

I have a Mac OS X version 10.5.8 and I have been receiving a message to upgrade (system not supported). Where do I go from here?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what application is giving you this message?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Safari

Thanks

And what is the website you are trying to visit?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Garmin product registration

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I have been waiting for over 30 minutes. Don't know if I am providing fullsome responses to his questions. I am a relative neophyte and the issues could be my own. Just need some help!
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The version is 10.5.8 the Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: Memory is 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM: Startup Disk - Macintosh HD

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK. I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I did as instructed and received a "complete" message

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No 'red' type then I repaired permissions

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK please read carefully. If you selected Verify Disk and it says there are errors in red type then you must Repair Disk first then you can try Repair Permissions if the repair is successful. They are two different things. Please try again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did as instructed - this time (mild case of ADD). Received message "Permission Repair Completed".

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok but still not what I want to hear... what about Verify Disk is that ok in green type?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

(Ok; upgrade to MAJOR case of ADD) New message: "The Volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK" in Green.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok no problem just had to make sure. Open Safari and go to the Garmin website again. I am guessing that your system and browser are not supported but tell me what the exact error message is.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

I highly recommend that you buy Snow Leopard and install it. That will allow you to use the latest Safari browser as well as Firefox and other web technologies like Flash that your current operating system will not support. Garmin is not the only site that you will have problems with. You need to purchase the install DVD here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

...your computer can handle even the latest system.... Mountain Lion but you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first, regardless. I also suggest you upgrade your installed RAM to at least 4 GB. That can be done at any Apple store or other computer shop. Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike; had a problem and lost connection. When I connected to Safari the message was: " We are sorry, but the browser or version you are currently using is not supported. We suggest that you use the most updated version of the following browsers: Chrome; Firefox; Internet Explorer; Safari."

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
As I suspected, I'll repeat my previous post:

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.