Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Hi, i dont remember my log in account password ( i recently

Hi, i dont remember my log in account password ( i recently changed it), I am the administrator. Im using a secondary user account. I don't have installation discs ( i don´t recall having one, i thing i did everything online when i Bout my Mac) I have an iMac Mid 2011, software Os X 10.8.4

what can i do.?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can easily reset the password XXXXX booting into Mac OS X Utilities. Follow the steps below;

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively, to boot into Mac OS X Utilities restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys)
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal"
  • Type (without space) resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then change password XXXXX reboot as normal.

If you have any trouble following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through the steps.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Raul, Just checking. How is it going ? Do you need more help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it didn't work.
I did the option ley and pop the utility window, But it doesn't give me aún opction to choose "terminal".
So what can i do.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Im sutil with the same problem.
It didn't help at all. I need a solution for what Im Paying for
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

I want to help you get the solution your paying for.. My apologies that your previous expert is offline.

When you hold down command and r and then start your mac..

What do you see next ?

Do you see a window asking you to choose a recovery drive, or a mac hd ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a Mac white page and the little symbol of "procesing or thinking" thats all
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. and you were pressing and holding down the command key and the R key , immediately after you pressed power and you didnt let go for at least 20 seconds?

If we hold command and R , whats the longest time you have let it sit at the " thinking screen" after pressing command and R ?

ALso.. you dont happen to have a mountain lion disk do you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i don,t have any discs. I holding these Keys and finally a OS X Utility Window Pops up.. With in that Window i hace the option to: XXXXX XXXXX time machine copy, or Reinstall OS, or get help from internet and lást option is Disc Utility
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
We want disk utility..

And then once in disk utility

try typing in this.

resetpassword

then, it should let you select your user, and t hen, you should be able to type in a new password.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is that, i select disc utility, then press the continue button and the window changes to an option to select disc, volume or image (and on the left side of the Window i have option to select 500.11 GB WDC, bellow that option is Macintosh HD, bellow that disk 1 and below that Mac OS X Base system.

Id i chose any of these options, it opens several buttons for : verify disk, repair. Etc etc. Botóm line... There's no place for me where to type : resetpassword. Just button options to select.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. Instead of disk utilities, were looking for just utilities..

when you find just utilities, we can then go into terminal

This should help..

http://www.macyourself.com/2011/08/20/how-to-reset-password-for-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

If you cant get to the terminal via recovery, utilities, terminal.

Then you can get to it via single user mode, which is also included on the page above.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exclent, Im in !!!!! But now there is a window telling me to introduce my keyring/lock pasword. And it does nt word my new password.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Which method did you end up using to get in??

Recovery utility, terminal,

Or single user mode ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recocery utility, terminal
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha..

Lets go back to terminal, and then try this

chmod 644 ~/Library/Keychains/Username

Username being the admin user that you just set a new password XXXXX

after words, type reboot, and then see if the mac will start normally..

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment