Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hi, i dont remember my log in account password ( i recently

Hi, i dont remember my log in account password ( i recently changed it), I am the administrator. Im using a secondary user account. I don't have installation discs ( i don´t recall having one, i thing i did everything online when i Bout my Mac) I have an iMac Mid 2011, software Os X 10.8.4

what can i do.?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can easily reset the password XXXXX booting into Mac OS X Utilities. Follow the steps below;

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively, to boot into Mac OS X Utilities restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys)
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal"
  • Type (without space) resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then change password XXXXX reboot as normal.

If you have any trouble following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through the steps.

Best Regards,
Hi Raul, Just checking. How is it going ? Do you need more help ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, it didn't work.
I did the option ley and pop the utility window, But it doesn't give me aún opction to choose "terminal".
So what can i do.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Im sutil with the same problem.
It didn't help at all. I need a solution for what Im Paying for
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

I want to help you get the solution your paying for.. My apologies that your previous expert is offline.

When you hold down command and r and then start your mac..

What do you see next ?

Do you see a window asking you to choose a recovery drive, or a mac hd ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just a Mac white page and the little symbol of "procesing or thinking" thats all
Ok.. and you were pressing and holding down the command key and the R key , immediately after you pressed power and you didnt let go for at least 20 seconds?

If we hold command and R , whats the longest time you have let it sit at the " thinking screen" after pressing command and R ?

ALso.. you dont happen to have a mountain lion disk do you ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No i don,t have any discs. I holding these Keys and finally a OS X Utility Window Pops up.. With in that Window i hace the option to: XXXXX XXXXX time machine copy, or Reinstall OS, or get help from internet and lást option is Disc Utility
We want disk utility..

And then once in disk utility

try typing in this.

resetpassword

then, it should let you select your user, and t hen, you should be able to type in a new password.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The thing is that, i select disc utility, then press the continue button and the window changes to an option to select disc, volume or image (and on the left side of the Window i have option to select 500.11 GB WDC, bellow that option is Macintosh HD, bellow that disk 1 and below that Mac OS X Base system.

Id i chose any of these options, it opens several buttons for : verify disk, repair. Etc etc. Botóm line... There's no place for me where to type : resetpassword. Just button options to select.
My apologies. Instead of disk utilities, were looking for just utilities..

when you find just utilities, we can then go into terminal

This should help..

http://www.macyourself.com/2011/08/20/how-to-reset-password-for-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

If you cant get to the terminal via recovery, utilities, terminal.

Then you can get to it via single user mode, which is also included on the page above.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Exclent, Im in !!!!! But now there is a window telling me to introduce my keyring/lock pasword. And it does nt word my new password.

Which method did you end up using to get in??

Recovery utility, terminal,

Or single user mode ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Recocery utility, terminal
Gotcha..

Lets go back to terminal, and then try this

chmod 644 ~/Library/Keychains/Username

Username being the admin user that you just set a new password XXXXX

after words, type reboot, and then see if the mac will start normally..

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller