Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Imac freezes on start uup

Imac freezes on start uup
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

When you say you have tried everything, can you be a bit more specific ? What steps have you tried, what repairs, etc..

Also, can you tell me the version of mac osx that you have on the imac, such as 10.6.9 10.7.4 or 10.8.5 ? ( snow leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion )

Thank you,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Imac 10.4.11 tiger.

Tried pulling plug out for 30 seconds.

Tried to restart holding down option, control, p, r, and waiting for the second symphony tone.

Thanks

Bernadette

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bernadette.

lets try this ( this step alone wont fix the issue, but for right now were in diagnosis mode )

Shut down the mac.

Hold down the left shift key, now try and start the mac.. ( this is a safe mode start )

Will it start in safe mode? Whether it starts or not, please send a reply so we can continue working the issue and carrying out further repairs as needed.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that, now a grey screen and apple logo.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

Lets allow a few minutes to see if it will start .. If it hasnt moved or changed screens for five minutes.. Send a reply.

( also, do you a apple osx install disk, probably with a picture of a tiger on it ? )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Computer restarted, but still grey screen, apple logo, revolving gear.

I have imac OSX install discs 1&2.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets , insert the installation discone, and restart the computer while holding the C key.

And then let me know what you see, or what happens. ( dont proceed with a reinstall yet, unless your not worried about losing files )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Choose a language

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
choose your language, and then be careful what you choose next... after choosing your language,,

choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen.

Click the first aid tab.. Now select your Mac HD or Mac OS volume.

Now click repair disk first.. When that finishes.. next, click repair permissions.

Once both are done..
restart the computer and hold down the shift key...

It may take it some time to boot, but lets give it at least ten minutes.. If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know and I will continue to assist you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does not have next but continue

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, I may not have wrote that clearly, after pressing continue, please be careful of what you click on and choose next.... try to follow these steps as closely as possible.

after choosing your language,,

Once both are done..

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Error message

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
During which step, did you get an error message?

And what was the message you received?

( that information will help us repair the error message )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pressed the repair disc.

Message

Invalid key length

Volume ckeck failed

Error: the underlaying task reported failure due on exit.

1HFS volume checked

1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.

can you try the repair permissions next.. and let me know what happens..

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing has happened.

The permission repair seems to be stalled.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood..

Its been 3 minutes.. The permissions repair hasnt errored out.. or flashed any new text on screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. No.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Lets give it a few more minutes.. If its repairing and there are serious issues to repair, it can take time.. ( and there are clearly issues it needs to repair )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still no movement

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.

Lets shut down the mac.. then try this repair next

http://www.everythingmacintosh.com/tech-notes/repair-your-hard-disk-in-single-user-mode/

If you get any errors, let me know.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did the above.

No errors.

Imac stuck at grey reboot screen with the revolving gear.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.

lets try two things.. ( and you will notice the reptition, but repitition is key to repairing )

try startingt the mac with the shift keys held down, to try and enter safe mode.

If you cant do that, then lets boot from the disk again, go back to the disk utilitty, and try to repair permissioons again..

It may work now that the previous repair went through without error.

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

22 minutes and nothing happening

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
22 minutes with the shift key, or with the repair permissins command?

Also, let me ask you about the files on your mac.. Do you have irreplaceable files on the drive?

Or, would reinstalling mac osx be an option you could consider.. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything on my last 3 macs have been backed up.

No irreplacable files.

Just time consuming.

Would you advise me to spend on a newer up to date computer. Either way I will be willing to pay for our session today

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Well... You can get newer / yet used imacs rather cheaply..

And I would advise that starting with Lion, you have access to icloud and more of apples more modern software and services..

For instance, this is a solid used imac, 3 ghz proc speed 4 gigs of ram, running mountain lion at a decent price considering its a mac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac-21-5-MC413LL-A-Intel-Core-2-Duo-3-06GHz-4GB-500GB-OS-X-Lion-10-7-/190914938058?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2c736ac4ca

As compared to a brand new mac..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac-27-3-4ghz-Quad-Core-i5-1TB-HD-16gb-Memory-Ram-775M-2gb-New-2013-/171136592865?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item27d8892be1

That being said... I would still go ahead and runthe tiger install disk and reinstall it.. Even if you only use the mac for your older programs and nothing else.. If you do choose to upgrade to Lion, none of your PPC programs will work on the newer macs..

So having an older working mac is a good idea, if you also have any older versions of programs that you need and use.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin....Thanks for your help in this matter. Please bill me.

Bernadette

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bernadette, to prevent a conflict of interest, us technicians have no way of billing you.

If you want to approve billing, you would need to click one of the rating icons below, and then click submit..

Even after submitting a rating for the support and service provided, you can still reply should something come up, or should you have further questions.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks