Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Word is not responding on a MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Firt of all open any other office app like Excel or Power Point. Click on Help > Check for Updates and install every updates. Now try to open Word again.

If it not helps, corrupted Word preferences may the cause of this issue. Follow these steps to reset them:
  1. Quit all programs.
  2. On the Go menu, click Home > Library. If you have OS X 10.7 (Lion) or above, click Go, hold down the OPTION key and choose Library.
  3. Open the Preferences folder and drag com.microsoft.Word.plist to the trash. If you can't find the file, continue to the next step.
  4. Now, open the Microsoft folder (in Preferences), and drag com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to the trash.
    Note If you have Service Pack 2 installed, open Application Support > Microsoft instead of Preferences > Microsoft.

5. Start Word and check the result.

If it also not helps, errored word template may the issue. To fix that please do the following.

1. Quit all programs.
  3. Open the Application Support folder, then the Microsoft folder, then the Office folder, and then the User Templates folder.
  4. Find the Normal.dotm file, and drag it to the trash.
  5. Start Word and check the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, I've tried everything apart from the last course as the Normal.dtm file is not to be found. In User Templates there are two other folders only, namely Theme Colors and Theme Fonts. As you suggested I did update the software to Office 2011 14.3.7

I am still having the problem I fear.

Many thanks,

H.

Okay, then please rename that User Templates folder to User Templates - OLD and try to open word again. If it not helps, try to locate the normal.dotm file on /Library/preference/Microsoft/Office/Office2011/Template folder. If it not helps, Cretae a new user account on your mac. Login as that user and try to open Word. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much! Everything is working. Marvellous!

Happy to hear it worked. Thank you very much for the positive rating. Remember us, when you need any assistance again. Your business is very valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/ Now let me file this question as closed.

Regards
Jins