Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I have been using Quark Express for many years but just recently

I have been using Quark Express for many years but just recently started using colors. I am using Quark Express version 8.12.

When I create outline type I can control the color of the outline but the interior of each letter is always white --- how can I change the color of the interior of each letter?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

You will need to convert the text to be able to do this. This will, sadly, make the text un-editable. Use Item>Convert Text to Boxes, then you have to switch to the Pen tool and select converted text. Then you can change background and frame color of the text.

Customer:

A couple of questions: 1. If I change the type to outline type before item>convert text to boxes I get a warning that "the selected text contains unsupported type styles and may not appear as currently displayed after it is converted." If I don't change to outline before converting to boxes, then I don't see any way to control the outline. ???

Customer:

Sorry, I forgot to mention the other question. Which pen tool should I be using? Bezier? Add point? Remove Point? ---- I have never used the Convert to Boxes option. When I do that am I creating vector type? After converting to boxes is there some way to curve the type (like to make it into an arch instead of a straight line?

Brandon M. :

You can adjust the size of the frame. You would use frame instead of the outline.

Brandon M. :

You just need to select the box - should be able to use the Item tool as well.

Customer:

When I convert to boxes, can you tell me the difference between Anchored, Unanchored, and Convert the whole box?

Brandon M. :

An anchored object would be attached to something and will follow it around - for instance, if it is anchored to the begining of a paragraph and you push the paragraph down, the object will also get pushed down. Unanchored is basically "free-floating" - no matter what the elements around it are doing, it will always remain in the same place.

Brandon M. :

I am not sure about the "Convert the whole box"

Customer:

So -- after I convert to boxes are these objects like pictures? Are they vectored? Can I curve them? I find that I can change their height and width by moving the box sides but I don't see a way to curve them.

Brandon M. :

Yes, they should be vectored but I don't know off the top of my head if they can be shaped.

Customer:

Thank you - this has been very useful

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm