Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My imac has suddenly slowed right down. it is not over utilised

My imac has suddenly slowed right down. it is not over utilised and was purchased in JAN 2013. it is a 3.2GHz Intel Core i5 processor running OS X Version 10.8.5.

It'll run quite happily for half an hour or so then start to slow down.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Then click Repair Permission. Then after that, click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Permssion.

Now, check your Mac and see if it still slows down or not.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

which are the Option-P-R keys?

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.
Option is the alt key next to Control key. P and R are the letters
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It appears to be better. If it reverts to slow once it runs for a while I'll come back to you; otherwise thanks for your help and prompt service.

Bernard

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.
Hi Bernard, It seems like a glitch in the software or memory.

Add a bookmark of this page, so if it happens again you can get back to me any time you want and I will continue to help you.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively. So that I will get credit for helping you. Rating the answer won't close the question.

Best Regards,