Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

I just updated my ipad and added a passcode which I failed

I just updated my ipad and added a passcode which I failed to write down at the time and have promptly forgotten. How do I cancel the passcode and start again
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 6 months ago.

Hello Joyce! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, you can reset the iPad and start again; please try the following:

• Press & hold the power button on the iPad until it lets you slide to turn off, then turn off.
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes program on your computer (make sure you iTunes program is up to date.)
  • On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After about 10 seconds release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still issue. Thank you,

Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Nothing is working yet?

I'm sorry.

1. Do you have the iTunes program installed on your computer? Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or Mac computer?

2. What happens when you try my suggestion? Are you stuck at any step?

Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No I don't. It was set up for me at an apple store and I have not synced it with a computer. I just took it over to my husband's computer which has itunes on it. I got as far as a screen with the usb connector ans itunes on it but nothing else happened. My ipad is now back at a grey screen with the passcode on it which I wish to remove.

Got it. On the computer you are communicating with me, can you please click on the website below, and allow the ScreenConnect remote program to run, then we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=e8bc6077-56ec-45b0-9c55-c8a9885d0359

Thank you
Hi Joyce,

1. What happens when you click on the website I've provided and allow it to run? Try all options it gives you please.

2. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or Mac computer? What about your husband's computer?

3. When you try my steps on your husband's computer, the iPad shows usb connector and iTunes, what does it show on the iTunes program on his computer?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I tried to contact you as you suggested but windows wouldn't connect. Since talking to you I have downloaded itunes onto my computer, but it will not sync with my ipad because my ipad us locked with the passcode.

Are you using Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome, etc./

Did you do exactly the steps I've provided:

• Click OK or Restore.

Please see the video at the website below also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It has taken me an hour to do it but I do now have a live ipad with no pass code on it any more. I will have to reload some of my apps unless they are in the cloud. I am very grateful for your help. Thankyou

Great. You're welcome. Reloading apps should be easy. If you need any app that is not there, you can just go to App Store, then download / install it. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please rate my service on this page? Thank you very much,