Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My iMac keep looses internet connectivity when watching streaming

My iMac keep looses internet connectivity when watching streaming video. My other devises work fine. It is only an issue with my desktop. What can I do?

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

There are a lot of possible causes to the issue your having, and it sounds like you have covered most of them already.. But before you and I start trying any further steps, I need to ask you a few questions.

The version of mac osx on your imac, is it 10.6.8 10.7.4 10.8.5 ?

Also, what web browser are you using, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome ?

Thank you ahead of time for your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't matter what web browser I'm using. I've tried all three. Same thing happens.

Thanks Nikolas..

next question, this imac.. Is it connected via an ethernet cable, or wirelessly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Nikolas.

Question.. The streaming video your watching, is there a specific way your streaming that video, such as netflix , or youtube, or apple tv, or something else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Netflix, HBOGO, ShowtimeAnytime. Any internet streaming source in which I watch lengthy videos the streaming stops. Sometimes its 10 minutes in, sometimes 30. I don't use youtube much on this computer and if I do its only for short videos (3-4 minutes).

I wanted to make sure it wasnt just one specific service that was causing the issue.

One last question and then I would like to start some repairs..

When you say that your other devices work fine, those other devices. .What are they?

(* iphone, ipad, macbook, windows pc, etc etc )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
iPad, MacBook, iPhone. In fact my iMac just lost connectivity as I'm chatting with you.
Thanks Nicolas..

Is there any way as a test.. We could take your imac closer to the router.. and then plug in directly with an ethernet cable..

That way we can ascertain is this is a wireless only issues, or if its a video streaming issue ( whether your wired or wireless )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will so that but it's going to take a little while. The wireless modem is downstairs so I have to move my computer downstairs.

Im sorry to have to ask you to go through the trouble.. But this will eliminate whether its a wireless issue, or an issue with the mac itself .. and with that info, we will know where to focus our efforts.

Take your time, as I will be online for at least the next three hours.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems to work fine when I connect thru Ethernet cable.

Understood.. Lets discuss the router you have.. Whats the full name brand and model of your router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Xfinity Arris TG862

Thanks Nikolas.

Currently, im researching if and how we can update the firmware on that router.

From what Im reading on the forums, im going to guess that y ou didnt use to have any wifi video streaming problems a few months back.. And this issue started in the last couple months?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We recently changed to this new router (last two weeks or so) and that's when the problem started.

Thanks Nikolas.

Upon further review, it seems that firmware updates for that model of router are controlled by comcast.. ( xfinity ) Meaning.. We cant update the router. And comcast periodically sends out manual updates.

Whats clear, is that the router itself is having the issue. In the comcast forums there are other reports of this being a wireless only issue , which only started since the last firmware update was pushed out..

So what can we do?

We could try a factory reset of the router, as that might get it working again.

Page 45 shows the location of the reset button

warning ** when you factory reset the router, its going to erase your wireless network name , set it back to default, and its going to remove your wireless password, or set it back to default. If your not certain of how to set the router up again after the reset, dont reset it yet as I dont want you to lose wireless internet and not be able to reply. ( although, you would still get internet via ethernet cables )

That being said.. A factory reset has only a possibility of fixing the issue. If it doesnt fix the issue.. Then theres only solution A or solution B left.

Solution A.. call comcast and see if they have a new firmware update to send out, as the last one is what caused the issue.

Solution B, tell comcast you need a different model of router because after the last firmware update, your wireless no longer works properly with all your devices.

I hope the factory reset works.. But if it doesnt, A or B above will absolutely fix the issue.

if you have any further questions, please let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

edit** While I Was typing and after I sent this reply, I seen your reply saying you changed to this router two weeks ago and thats when the issue started. We definitely need to either update the firmware through comcast, or replace this router. As the issue your having is a known issue with the last firmware update that hit this router..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried the trouble shooting tips on the web site you recommended. I also called Mac hep desk. They suggested I change the channel on my modem to 4 or 11. I did that along with the trouble shooting tips. Nothing as worked so far.

To be clear.. you did factory reset the router..

And that didnt fix the issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The modem. Yes. And they changed it to channel 11 as the Mac tech suggested.

Ok, so a factory reset didnt do the trick.. And weve changed the channels from 1 to 11 etc.. And its still not working.

At this point it has to be the modem itself, other users have reported the same exact issue with that model of modem / router..

My suggestion, either get your ISP to give you a different name brand and model of modem / router.

Or ask them for a modem only , ( not a gateway that has wireless built in )

And then buy a cheap wireless router such as the linksys e1200

As that router, will not cause the issue your having ..

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Issue is not yet resolved. I have to go to a Comcast office and exchange what they supplied (a combo router/modem) for a router only and attach it to s separate modem and see if that solves the problem. I have not had an opportunity to do that yet.

I understand Nikolas,

and thats the best way to proceed.. I realize that you will want to keep in contact till you have confirmed that the steps I suggested will work.. ( and they will :)

If you can, just bounce a reply my way every few days just to keep this question open.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I will. I am out of town and won't get a chance to get the new hardware until Thursday at the earliest.

If you could, please send a reply every 2 or 3 days just to keep this topic active and open.

Dustin S.