Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I tried to free up space on my Mac yesterday, I used MacKeeper

I tried to free up space on my Mac yesterday, I used MacKeeper and also deleted some files. Now I seem to have lost all my mail and still getting messages my startup disk is almost full. I have the files I need to recover still in MacKeeper and in Downloads where I took them out of the trash. Yesterday, I did have mail--but once I closed the application it is asking me to set it up again--it was weird, I could see all my messages yesterday but past 2 days it would say "loading" so the content wasn't there.

So I need to restore my mail and get restored what I have in MacKeeper.

Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 9 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be glad to assist you with your issue.

Customer:

Hi Brandon

Brandon M. :

Do you mind if we setup a remote control session so I can look around and see if I can find out the cause?

Customer:

I was able to restore one of my mail accounts, and it pulled in the last day--so the last 2 years is MIA. I have 2 other email accounts that are also MIA

Customer:

sure

Customer:

it is just downloading what was on the server from the last day

Customer:

I'm sure the files are around here somewhere

Customer:

go ahead and set up the remote session

Brandon M. :

Great - please go here and run the software that is downloaded: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=37dd9d61-9cb5-46aa-975a-228bc1968e32

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so I left MacKeeper open with what I deleted

Customer:

I have the downloads folder open with what I pulled out of the trash

Customer:

my mail and settings are all in there somewhere

Customer:

like I didn't want to Delete Dragon dictate, I use that

Customer:

now it's in downloads..eergh

Brandon M. :

Ok, mind if I take a look?

Customer:

sure

Brandon M. :

Looks like the vanella@* mailbox is not htere.

Brandon M. :

there*

Customer:

there should be XXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

I dont know what that vanella@ is

Brandon M. :

Ok, over 98000 unread emails - does that look normal

Customer:

yes :(

Customer:

I get the award for the largest email file

Customer:

if you can fix everything back before I tried to fix it I can pay you $200

Customer:

to put all my files back

Customer:

Dragon and all that

Brandon M. :

Haha, I've seen more. I work for a law firm... :)

Customer:

this was a mess

Customer:

hahahaha

Customer:

this mac is really slow

Customer:

so I got MacKeeper

Customer:

which I don't know if that was the right thing

Customer:

I have 3 email accounts

Customer:

m.vanella@comcast

Customer: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer:

the marianne@ is most important, comcast 2nd most, and the MAV is is kind of but not as much

Customer:

and there are all these plist files in MacKeeper

Customer:

that is everything that is supposed to be restorable

Customer:

I didnt close it since I did it

Brandon M. :

Ok, it might be difficult unless MacKeeper knows where they came from originally. I haven't personally used it but I would be happy to move what I can back for you.

Customer:

and everything that was in the trash I put back in downloads

Customer:

so between MacKeeper and the download folder that is everything

Customer:

MacKeeper knows if you do it one at a time it seemed--or all like files

Customer:

but when youselect all it doesnt like that

Customer:

but if you select all the pb\ng files together it will put them back

Brandon M. :

Ah, yeah. That is odd. I would consider that a bug.

Customer:

see watch

Customer:

I dunno

Customer:

I won't be using that feature again

Brandon M. :

Ok, let me take a look

Brandon M. :

Give me a minute - I am being called away.

Customer:

k

Brandon M. :

Very sorry for my delay. That took a lot longer than expected.

Customer:

no worries

Brandon M. :

Ok, mind if I control again?

Customer:

sure

Brandon M. :

Im still connected.

Customer:

k

Brandon M. :

There doesn't appear to be a way to see where the original file came from so I might have to guess for a few of them

Customer:

k

Brandon M. :

Did you run this at 10:44 AM yesterday?

Customer:

yes

Brandon M. :

Great.

Customer:

I wanted to mention, I changed email servers I think in July--so you will see vanellagroup.com POP email and then I moved to Ximbra

Customer:

and the server changed, XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

if that helps

Brandon M. :

Though, those emails are for an account not even listed.

Brandon M. :

in the V2 folder.

Customer:

Zimbra

Customer:

so maybe they are on my server still? lemme check

Brandon M. :

Well, I see the emails, just not an account to put them under in the Mail data folder

Customer:

can you make a new folder?

Customer:

so much junk email

Customer:

the MAV@ is almost all junk

Brandon M. :

Making a new folder won't really help if there is no associated account. Let me check something

Brandon M. :

Ok, I found the account and merged the two together. The rest of the files in there appear to either be legit downloads and attachments which there would be no way to know where they belong.

Customer:

it looks like I can just put the images in my photo folder

Customer:

and the rest are hopefully not important

Brandon M. :

Yeah, if that is where they possible came from

Customer:

how can I free up space on my startup disk?

Customer:

that is what I keep the message for and what started this whole thing

Brandon M. :

Well, might want to throw them somewhere just in case. If you know the name of the file (should be in the email), you can just look in that folder.

Customer:

this laptop runs like a dog sometimes

Customer:

needs more memory or a new one or something

Brandon M. :

I already checked this earlier. Your startup drive has 25 GB available which is plenty. You can possibly free up some more using a program called OnyX - it also optimizes the system which will speed it up.

Customer:

I partitioned off some for Parallels

Brandon M. :

If the system is slow, you may just need memory. I can check that for you, if you wish. Memory is different than hard drive.

Customer:

it is always telling me it is full, even today it saud that

Customer:

okay if you can that would be great

Customer:

it wont run stuff because it says my startup sick is full

Customer:

and it just dogs when it is loading pages and stuff

Brandon M. :

You currently have 4GB of ram (memory). I would suggest 8GB, especially since you run a VM on the same system.

Customer:

ok

Brandon M. :

I opened a tab that will provide you with 8GB

Customer:

how do I install it?

Brandon M. :

Other than that, your hard drive has 25 GB available.

Customer:

do I have to take it somewhere

Brandon M. :

On that same page, there is an install video on the left if you want to do it yourself or you can take it to a electronics store like Best Buy or local computer repair store and have them do it for you.

Customer:

ok perfect

Brandon M. :

Have I completed everything you needed today?

Customer:

let me ask, to free up memory should I close more things

Brandon M. :

Yes, running applications use up memory. As you close them, the memory will become available. If you open the Activity Monitor, you can see what programs are using what memory. I see a VM running that is using 1GB of ram so there is 1/4 of your ram. The system itself probably uses anywhere between 512MB-1GB. There could be 1/2 your ram so far.

Customer:

OMG now it isnt charging

Brandon M. :

Getting 8GB will give you more flexibility and allow you to keep more things running without having to worry about slowing down.

Brandon M. :

Oh geez. Is the light on the charger on? Try unplugging and re-plugging

Customer:

no

Customer:

yay

Customer:

ok i have had a lot of prblems with that in the past, on 3rd cordf

Customer:

i need a new MBP I htink

Brandon M. :

If you wrap up the cord a lot, that can be the cause.

Customer:

does this seem like a good machine to you still?

Brandon M. :

Yeah, that one is a little over 3 years old. Computers generally last 3-5 years.

Customer:

I signed up for monthly support, can I favorite you as a tecth?

Customer:

I have had this since 2008 I think or 2009

Brandon M. :

Yes, of course. The VM is slowing it down a little bit but overall it's good. It has the old gen processors. The new MacBooks have the Core i processors which you could seriously benefit from if you use VMs a lot.

Customer:

I upgraded the OS but not memory

Brandon M. :

It's a Mid-2010 model

Customer:

okay

Customer:

ok--can you find my vanellagroup.com sent mail please?

Customer:

I see comcast, the mav@ but not the marianne@

Brandon M. :

I don't see a Sent Messages.mbox in the downloads folder and the undelete doesn't show any mbox files either

Customer:

I know I didn't perm delete anything, is there another place to look?

Customer:

did it merge wiht the other ones for some reason?

Customer:

can I search the whole machine for it?

Brandon M. :

Merge, likely not because mboxes are files, not folders. Mac OS just allows you to see inside them

Brandon M. :

And the only emails I saw were already in mbox files

Customer:

is there a way to search on everything for an mbox folderor could it be inside of something else?

Customer:

those were the only important ones I had is why

Customer:

I try not to send a lot of business mail on this system but that is the acct I sent them from

Brandon M. :

You can try searching but no guarantees. Just use the search in the very top right of your screen and search for "Sent Messages.mbox"

Brandon M. :

or .mbox if you want all

Customer:

where do I put it?

Brandon M. :

Hrm, that might not search your library.

Brandon M. :

Click Show All In Finder

Brandon M. :

no, no, it was the first result in that list

Customer:

those are them

Brandon M. :

Oh ok, let me check

Brandon M. :

Hows that?

Customer:

how did I do this?

Customer:

THANK YOU

Brandon M. :

Well, not sure because the Library folder is hidden. Haha

Customer:

wow I sure could have used your help when I moved my iTunes folder

Customer:

how can I find you again to help with this?

Brandon M. :

Glad to help though. I know what it is like when you lose data.

Customer:

Ihave an account

Customer:

terrible

Customer:

I have a backup on my production system but not here

Brandon M. :

You can bookmark my profile. You can get to it by clicking my name in the bottom left of this window

Brandon M. :

There is a question box on my profile that will request me

Customer:

okay will do

Customer:

perfect

Customer:

well I appreciate very much your help

Customer:

have a great rest of the day

Brandon M. :

No problem at all. Glad to help. You have a great day as well. Please be sure to rate in the lower right corner before closing so that we can finish this session. You may provide a tip, if you feel I deserve one, after you have rated the question. Thank you in advance for any tips!

Customer:

am I okay to close MacKeeper right now?

Brandon M. :

I will close the remote session now.

Brandon M. :

Yes, you may

Customer:

ok thanks

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Mari Anne,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if everything was put back after you had some time to review. Also, you mentioned something about an iTunes move. I would be happy to assist with that when you are ready.

Best Regards,
Brandon