John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Word 2011 for Mac

I selected "don't save"  on a document. Retrieve?

Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Chances are if the document has never been saved then you may have trouble finding it but, follow the below instructions and see if you can locate a temporary cache of teh document;

1) First, if you've restarted since losing the file, look in your trash for a "Recovered items" folder. if not...

2) Microsoft Office has an Autorecovery function that saves some files when, for example, there's a power loss. These files are located in the home folder, in the Library

Click "Go" in the Finder menu bar at the top of the screen, (If you don't see Library, press Option and click Go again as the Library may be invisible).

In Library, open a folder called Application Support.

Open Microsoft.

Open Office.

In that folder are a number of folders, one of which may be Office 2011 AutoRecovery if files are available. Click that, and any files saved by the autorecovery function will be displayed.

3) If the above doesn't work, next, Go to the Finder

select Go in the menu bar and click "Go to Folder..."

type /private/var/folders

and click the Go button.

Look for files or folders named "Word Work File" inside a "Temporary items" folder.

You should option-drag files or folders to the Desktop (or anywhere else) before dropping them on Word's icon. Don't delete anything!

If your file is still cached on the drive somewhere then that is the most likely place, however the cache files do not exist for long.

Recovery of unsaved files is slim so if the above does not turn up a copy of your file, then pelase don't shoot the messenger. :-)

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had already tried all of that. I cannot find the document anywhere. I had not saved it at all. It was "document6" on Word.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went back and tried your #2 again. When I got to "Library" and opened "Microsoft" there was not a folder for Office.

I also tried your #3, and got the following: zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000

NONE of which i had permission to open.

Thanks for the update, Phyllis.

Sadly, if none of the files or folders were available to be found then no cache of the document remains.

You may want to look over the following help page at your convenience on how to safeguard against loss like this in the future.