John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Im updating my mac to the new version Mac OSX Snow Leapard

I'm updating my mac to the new version Mac OSX Snow Leapard and I bought this New version from the apple store online recently .Everytime I insert my disk, It automatically ejects it and it seems as if it doesn't even read the cd. I don't know what to do anymore.
Please help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Question.. Is the mac you have ejecting other disks automatically, or just this new disk.

And the new disk you have and your trying to use, is it a Snow Leopard Disk, Lion, MOuntain Lion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's only Ejecting the " Mac OS X Snow Leopard" It accepts any other cd.

and yes, it is a Snow leapard .

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

So theres no confusion Mariah, let me ask you something ..

You already have Snow leopard on your mac..

And your trying to use a snow leopard disk to install snow leopard again?

Can you please help me to understand why or what your trying to do or accomplish..

Thank you!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the Version 10.5.8 on my computer and I'm trying to update my computer to the latest version which is 10.6.3 and actually i called the app store and they said that i should update to version 10.6.3. Now , I have the disc and I don't know what to do with it because my computer is not accepting it. So, im guessing that you're saying it's the wrong cd?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Then, repeatedly click on the word "Version" until it says "Serial Number" and please provide that number, as well.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello! and thank you :).

My version is OS X 10.5.8 And my serial number is W89337SW642

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much!

I did verify your Mac supports OS X Snow Leopard and since you purchased it at retail via the Apple Store then the CD *should* be fine unless there is a physical defect with the disc.

Can you read the CD in Safe Boot mode?

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop.

Now, insert the disc and see if it's readable. If it is, then you should be able to install from there.

If that does not work,

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#).

Insert the CD.

type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then let go and you should eventually see the installer introductory screen.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry