Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hello Mike, i have a strange problem with my imac where the

Hello Mike, i have a strange problem with my imac where the screen becomes white on boot up... i have the little turning wheel that appear and dissapear but nothing else won't happen...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Holld the power button for about 10 seconds. Then start it up and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. Let it try to repair and if it starts up ok restart the normal way then let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Mike, i saw the progress bar go all the way. Then, it still won't load... i tried to restart it, and now, i have a grey screen with the wheel turning that appear and dissaear... same problem, but on a grey screen...

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Do you know what system version you were running?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10.8

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, i did this already with apple support. I had some problems with my disk but those were already there before.... i called apple about those a month ago and the apple guy told me it wasn't anything serious.

invalid directory item count... should be 31908 of 31909

and

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Then i click repair and get :

the volume Macintosh HD was repaired sucessfully

( but this was like that a month ago... i called cause i couldn't sync my keyboard after changing the batteries at that time)

today, i downloaded logonkey, when the application was done installing they asked me to restart the computer and i have this problem...

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK but did you just do that now? It musy be done on a regualar basis. Did it need repairs just now? What logon key? From where?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, i just did this now! it says the volume was repaired in green color...

The error in red was :

Checking catalog hierarchy

invalid item count

( it should be 31908 instead of 31909 )

but it's been repaired sucessfuly

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok then there was a problem. Did you Repair Permissions too?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, before the verify and repair, i did permissions and repair permission it was ok as well

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok you should Repair Permissions AFTER your Repaired the disk but anyway... is the problem still there?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i don't now.... i'm repairing the permissions now...

All the errors in permission seam to come from itunes...

SHOULD BE DRWXR-XR-R : they are RWXR-XR-X....

I will wait to repair the persmissions and will try to restart... i'll get back to you

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So Mike, i got a : permissions repair complete...

I restarted

got the apple in the middle of the screen, and the little whell at the bottom spinning... the spinning wheel dissapear and boom white screen again white the little wheel that appear and dissapear... bummer.Frown

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok in that case I suggest you reinstall the system:

Do the same thing again but this time instead of Disk Utility click on Reinstall Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

but i don't want to lose all my data ?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

very old back up... 6 months ago maybe....

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK at least you have that but you should have Time Machine on all the time. Reinstalling the system will not normally cause you to lose anything. It just installs a clean system on top of the old one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

mike, it tell me :

COULD NOT FIND INSTALLATION INFORMATION FOR THIS MACHINE

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys and hold Command - R try reinstalling again

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Mike. it's too late, i was able to start the installation... it tell me 8 hours 10 minutes remaining at this time...

But what you told me about the reset for the pram i did already earlier i found this on youtube and it didn't work either....

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
OK it should not take that long but let me know after. GOOD LUCK.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Mike, this morning i arrived at the office and it was back to normal so the installation was sucessfull and all my data is still there ! thanks a lot !

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Great!!!!
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.