Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I cannot print my photos on Iphoto because it says i have

I cannot print my photos on Iphoto because it says i have no theme installed?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It is version 10.6.8processor 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 Dduo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was successful . Now what do I do.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Did the drive need repairs?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I really don't know should I verify disk?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

I thought you said it was successful can you clarify? So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At the bottom it said permissions repair complete.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok but what about Verify Disk?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure about what I should do next
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Was Verify Disk OK in green type??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No but I am verifying the disc. I am probably doing this all backward. It about done with 2 mins to go
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK I spelled it out is this not clear enough? Click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did and the permission verification and repair verification has been completed.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok sorry but still not right... VERIFY DISK then if OK, REAPAIR PERMISISONS not Verify Permissions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no green light but it now has gone to Erase is lit up in blue?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Repair went through but there is no green lights
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would say the drives did not need repairs
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
No do not ERASE!!! Please look below... select Macintosh HD on the left and then on the First Aid tab on the right then Verify Disk (2) on the far right, it will complete with errors in red or it will say OK in green, then Repair Permissions (1) on the left.

graphic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
O.k I am verifying disc. It says it will take 10 Minutes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It said the volume Mac HD appears to be ok in green.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK now REPAIR PERMISSIONS please.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
O.k.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

After that is done, restart the computer and go to the Apple Logo to Software Update and install anything that is listed. Then try printing from iPhoto

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Permissions repair complete
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
restart the computer and then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update and install anything that is listed. Then try printing from iPhoto
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I think something in the core library is damaged and it can't be repaired. I think i better give up.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
What do you mean? Why do you say that? What happened?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
We are just getting to the problem that was just preliminary checking things.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

o.k. what do i do next?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Did you run Software Update?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes. And it said all updates were ok
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK did you purchase iPhoto from the app store or did it come with the computer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It came with the computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK try printing again and give me the exact error message.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No available Themes

There were no themes located . Until at least one
Theme has been installed, this feature will be unavailable
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK you need to reinstall iPhoto. You won't lose any pictures. Drag iPhoto app to the trash from Applications, then:

Insert the Applications installation disc into your computer’s optical drive (or an optical drive connected to your computer) and double-click the Install Bundled Software icon.

Follow the onscreen instructions. In the Installation Type pane, click Customize.

Click the disclosure triangle next to Bundled Applications, select the checkbox next to the application you want to install, and then click Install.

After that is done run Software Update BEFORE you try to open iPhoto.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I cannot drag the iphoto from applications. It won't let me.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Is it open? You have to quit it first
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I did quit it from the dock and installed the installation Cd
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK follow the directions I gave and after run Software Update
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I followed the directions and ran the software update. Then I went to applications and checked iPhoto went in to see if any change in wanting to print and the same message came up about no themes were available.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
You reinstalled iPhoto from the disk after trashing it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure it went in to the trash as it would not let me move it.but I quit it from the dock
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked the trash iPhoto was not in it. How do you get it moved to the trash it will not move.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK restart the computer, don't open anything and then go to Applications folder and drag iPhoto to the trash.

Then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/ drag iPhoto folder to the trash

Then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts folder drag anything with the name iPhoto in it to the trash

empty the trash.

Now Insert the Applications installation disc into your computer’s optical drive (or an optical drive connected to your computer) and double-click the Install Bundled Software icon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
iPhoto will not budge from applications
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
You restarted the computer, right? Right click on it and go to Move to Trash
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have restarted the computer. I checked the trash and iPhoto is now in it.
I am re installing the application CD and it is writing files again.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok but did you trash those other items first and empty the trash?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No, i Forgot now can i stop the installing?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Just let it go now. Please READ my posts and follow them fully or we will never get through this. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Make sure you run Software Update after...don't open iPhoto untill you do that please.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Software is updating
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The software successfully updated the software
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It Worked! iPhoto is now able to print.
Thank you so much for your patience with me. I am so computer challenged.