Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I was backing up my camera and video roll (admittedly for the

I was backing up my camera and video roll (admittedly for the first time in years) and the back-up kept on freezing at around Dec 2011. I was getting prompted to update to ios7 so I did that and it seemed to go smoothly. However, the iPad immediately showed the iTunes logo with the connector picture and iTunes on my computer has the 'detect in recovery mode' statement.

I am desperate to not lose the last two years of photos and videos from my iPad. My iTunes is already backed-up to my computer. I don't even know if my ios7 kicked in.

Please advise!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 11 months ago.
Hi

I am really sorry to hear that your iPad is now showing a USB cable and iTunes logo. This means that the iPad is not able to load the operating system. In this case, there is only one solution and that is to restore the iPad. Unfortunately, this will remove everything on the iPad.

However, after the restore, you will have an option to restore from backup. If your recent backup contains everything, then we will get back everything that was erased off it.

I wish I had a different answer, but this is the only thing we can do to get the iPad working again.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I researched online before contacting you and there was a software called Tiny Umbrella which I was told might save my media. What you told me is the standard Apple answer and doesn't help me.

Hi Mark

TinyUmbrella is like a jailbreaking app. If you install that the warranty on the iPad would also be gone. That is why I won't suggest that.

When you do an update, iTunes will automatically backup your data. So once you restore from backup, all data would be returned. But the only problem is that we are not sure how much of the data is backed up.

If you have a backup in the computer, you may be able to retrieve the data using the following software

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/ibackupextractor/

Try the free trial version before you buy

Let me know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry Vinod, but I am confused. My only concern is the photos and videos I took on the iPad and the iTunes doesn't back those up. I know from my computer what photo and video files I backed up before the back-up froze.

Are there really no viable solutions at this point to saving my photo and video files? You mentioned about losing my warranty but I would rather lose the warranty than important photos and videos.

I understand. iTunes does backup the photos and videos you took using the iPad. We will not be able to read that data, but a backup extractor may. So I would first suggest you to download that software I mentioned

Try whether it is able to retrieve those photos or videos.

The tiny umbrella nor the apple standard restore procedures guarantee that the data can be recovered. So if the backup extractor cannot read your data, go for standard restore or tiny umbrella.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I appreciate your flexibility.

You are welcome..:)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Vinod-I tried the back-up but it seems like only the images are there but not the video. Could this be the case?

Thanks again.

Mark

I think that software can only retrieve the photos from the backup. I am searching for a different software that could retrieve the videos as well.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much Vinod. I hope there is a video retrieval software.

Try this please

http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/extract-backup-from-iphone.html

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Hi Mark

How is it going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Vinod,

Looks like the second link you sent me allowed me to extract all my video files and photos. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Mark

Great to know that...:)

If we are done, I would appreciate if you can rate my service.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely-I will do that right away.

Regards,

Mark

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry Vinod. Where do I rate you?

You might have got some smileys along with my last answer. If you don't find it, you might have those with this.

Once you have all files on your computer, you can safely go for restoring the iPad, and then restoring from backup.

Thank you
Vinod