James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I recently installed Mac OS 10.8.5 update on my iMac along

I recently installed Mac OS 10.8.5 update on my iMac along with the iTunes update. Everything seems OK, so far, except that the disk permissions for iTunes are incorrect even after I run Repair Permissions in the Disk Utility several times. After Repair, the "correct permissions" all begin with "d" and are otherwise identical to the "incorrect" permissions except the "d" is absent. When I run Verify Permissions the list shows the same Incorrect Permissions as in the beginning.
I've seen similar things happen where the letter"l" would appear in the Disk Permissions in previous system upgrades and updates that turned out to be harmless. I haven't seen anything about this problem on the internet, yet, but I wonder if can ignore them. Could I download them again and and reinstall right over the first ones?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Are you experiencing any adverse effects, other than the cosmetic issue of the permissions?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I actually never use iTunes except to pay for items from the App Store with my iPhone. I am only concerned about my whole system not being affected by these strange permissions. Everything seems OK so far.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

The issue you describe is a presentation issue, and doesn't affect the functionality of the program.
It is safe to ignore it, and doesn't cause any damage or adverse effects to your system.

I wouldn't bother with a re-install, but if you do decide to do it, make sure you drag iTunes into the trash can and empty it first.

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "presentation issue"?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I mean the permissions are showing wrong, even though in the back-end, on the disk, they are not causing a real issue.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert