Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.

this morning a new update from Apple was installed on my iPad.

this morning a new update from Apple was installed on my iPad. After installation, the screen advised to slide to the right and the question appeared asking for my passcode. I entered my Apple ID twice but nothing happened. If the passcode is not the Apple ID, I have no clue what the pass code is, as this was set up for me before I received it as a Christmas present. If it is recorded ANYWHERE, it would be on my notepad...which of course I cannot access. I am unable to use my iPad. Can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello Cathleen! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry bout the issue. Is it asking for a 4-digit passcode? Or is it asking for the Apple ID account / password? Please press and hold both the Power button and the Home buttons together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then check.

If that does not work, please try the following:

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes program on your computer (make sure you iTunes program is up to date.)
  • On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After about 10 seconds release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

Does any of those two methods work?

Also, whenever it asks for your Apple ID account / password, you can reset the password XXXXX the website http://iforgot.apple.com/

(If it does not recognize your email address at that website, or it does not work, then you can create an Apple ID account at the website http://appleid.apple.com/)

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if it still does not work. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it is saying"hello" please slide, then new screen "enter passcode"

Thank you. Can you please try each of my suggestions above in order until it works? Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

can I Rreach those suggested sites on my Dell pc and have them sork on my iPad?

Yes, you can reach those sites on your Dell pc, but please try my first two suggestions first (those sites would be the last method you would try if needed.) Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I don't know how to do those things. I do not have iTunes or use it as I am deaf.

Sorry about that. Please click on the website below, and allow the ScreenConnect remote program to run, then we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=558f007d-9ba7-4e48-9382-80f28ad3a3ae

Edit: I'm out of suggestions; let me open the issue to other Professionals. Thank you

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will help you today.

I believe that your ipad is asking for the iPad lock code. Did you have a lock code on your ipad?

Or was the screen asking for AppleID?

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the screen shows "enter passcode" with one long empty block in which to key. Do you want me to connect tne iPad to my pc?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Did you ever setup a passcode on your ipad?

If yes, please enter the passcode/lockcode and follow the prompts.

If not, we will have to reset the ipad using iTunes on your computer. Connect your ipad. Click on the Restore button. This will erase all data on your ipad and restore back to Factory Settings.

When done, setup your ipad as normal. Select Restore from iCloud.

Please let me know if this method worked out or not. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I don't know if a passcode was provided...the iPad was a Christmas gift, already set up. If there is a passcode, the gift=giver wrote it on the "notes" app. which I cannot access. I do not know what the restore button is. Have you followed the body of this correspondence with tech Viet? It sounds like you want me to repeat those actions.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your reply and info.

On your PC, if you do not have iTunes yet, please go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ to download and install iTunes.

After installed iTunes, open iTunes and connect your iPad. Select the ipad on top right corner. You will see a Restore button. See photo below.

graphic

Ipad will be the same. Click on Restore and follow the prompts. When done, you can either setup ipad as a new ipad or restore from iCloud. Then you will be able to use your ipad normally.

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

iTunes does not load. It shows "locked" please read the dialogue with the tech,Viet, in the body of this conversation. Thanks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

I am sorry that I did not see any info regarding iTunes I locked.

Was iTunes installed on your PC? If yes, does iTunes display your iPad when you connect iPad to PC?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I cannot GET to iTunes. I cannot do anything. I have a screen demanding my passcode. I do not know if there IS a passcode on this iPad. It was set up for me, I assume that iTunes was not ever activated, as I do not listen to music. Does this help at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

are you still with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello? Is anyone working on this? Please open a dialogue box rather than using email. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Nick are you there? Am I not giving you enough information?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the delay.

I was asking if you can download and install iTunes on your PC. Then connect your ipad to PC and restore the iPad with itunes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will try and will get back to you shortly, I hope.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

Please let me know if you have any troubles restoring your ipad with iTunes on your PC.

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

when I go into "music" on my pc it shows itunes media and files, but I don't know how to access it in order to download it into iPad. Please walk me thru obtaining iTunes on pc. Thank you. Had to go last night...four hours with my limited skills just wore me to a frazzle.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Before we go any further, were you be able to restore your ipad?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no! that's the whole issue. I downloaded iTunes from apple,com and followed instructions for : tun off power, hold home button.etc I show on my iPad screen a usb cord pointing toward iTunes icon. So, yeah, I am not disabled any longer, but I can't get past this step, HELP!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

Now please open iTunes on your computer. Connect ipad to computer using USB cable. iTunes will say that your iPad is in Recovery mode and restore.

When done, follow the steps to setup your ipad.

Then we will continue to sync your music from computer to iPad.

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

cable and itune on iPad segued into hello screen again, In entering one 4 digit code xxxx, it announced iPad disabled and shut down. What to do now? Power button to slider, reinstall cable to iPad while holing down home button again?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for update.

Please do the following steps:

1. Press Power button until the iPad is turned off.
  2. Connect your iPad to computer.
  3. Open iTunes.
  4. Hold power and home together for EXACTLY 10 seconds.
  5. Release power button. Keep holding Home button until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
  6. At this point will the display come on iTunes. Select Restore.
  7. After the restore, your iPad will need to be setup and backup from icloud or from iTunes.

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

did as you stated. Message came on pc saying device was not compatible, and to go to Windows Copatability Center to install driver. I did do that and it shows Apple iPad 2 compatible with Windows 8.1 and Windows 8. I have Windows 7 on my pc. There was no mention of Windows 7. iPad screen reverted to "hello."

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

I can remote into your computer to assist you.

1. CLICK HERE.
  2. On the site, click on the Orange Share button.
  3. Download and run the join.me tool.
  4. You will see the Orange on middle-top part of the screen.
  5. Give me the 9 numbers in form of xxx-xxx-xxx
  6. I will use this code to remote into your computer. With your permission of course.

Nick

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

on what site? iTunes? I am in the part that says radio on and see no orange button. Of course you have my permission...ANY nine numbers?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
This is on your Windows 7 computer that you are trying to connect your ipad to.

1. First on your computer, go to http://join.me
  3. Download and run the join.me tool.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok I will do that now.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry. I went to join.me and downloaded...but I cannot see any 9 number code anywhere, even though they ask for it

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
No problem. You can go to Download folder and run join.me file. There will be an orange section on top of your screen. There will be a 9 numbers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

where is the download folder? Is that under "see all programs?" I know how painful this must be for you...it is for me. I am of course a senior, housebound deaf woman and sorry to be so inconvenient to you.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry that you are having problem.

Based on our conversations, I think it is best that you contact Apple store for appointment and have them help you with this issue for FREE.

Or you can call a local ipad support to come and assist you.

If you wished to cancel and request refund, please click on the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Nick
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I now am having trouble getting a refund, for I rated you as competent. Now where do I go.? I do not wish to join or to pay $48.00 to be told to go elsewhere. even though I am sure this is the logical answer.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your rating.

You can contact Customer Service for refund. Please click HERE to contact Customer Service.

Or call them. Customer Service phone number: 1-888-862-9212. Hours 6am-6pm PST.

Nick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

just found the 9 digit code: thought it was a phone number. 658-903-317

Should ai go back to join me and enter that or are you done with me? Thanks for cust svc #, I will be more than happy to pay and tip if this resolved

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Let's give it a try.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Glad we worked it out and restore your ipad.

Please reply if you have any questions or concerns regarding your AppleID account.

Nick