Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I have a macbook air. I had to shut it down because screen

I have a macbook air. I had to shut it down because screen was frozen. Now when I get to log in screen, the cursor moves but nothing happens when I click on my user icon, so I can't log back in. Any ideas?

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

It sounds like there may be an issue with either your operating system or your hard drive. Which version of OS X are you running?

Customer:

Whatever the latest version of the software is - but I do recall a message appearing recently asking me to update, but I haven't so far.

Customer:

btw, I am using the computer's trackpad

Michelle :

Oh soo your actual trackpad does not click? Do you have an external mouse?

Customer:

The trackpad appears to be clicking in so far as I can hear the click sound when I press on the trackpad, but nothing happens

Customer:

I do not have an external mouse with me right now - that would have been the first thing I'd have tried. Is there any reason to think that its va selective problem with the trackpad that could be over ridden by an external mouse?

Michelle :

First, lets boot into your recovery partition. This will help distinguish between hardware and software issues. Turn off your computer, then power it back on while immediately pressing and holding down Command+ R. Continue to hold both keys until the apple logo appears

Customer:

okay - doing it now

Customer:

Does it have to be a capital R?

Michelle :

Nope

Customer:

okay

Michelle :

If done correctly, you should see a welcome screen asking for you to choose your language

Customer:

I do!

Michelle :

Ok now choose a language and hit continue

Customer:

what next?

Customer:

that worked!

Michelle :

You will then see a selection. Can you click on Disk utility

Customer:

Cursor won't select :( Weird because it allowed me to select the language in the previous screen

Michelle :

hmm Can it select anywhere on the top menu bar?

Customer:

No

Michelle :

It sounds like your issue is hardware and your trackpad is the culprit. I see you already tried to reset your PRAM. The last thing that will confirm it is if you are able to click with a wired mouse instead of your trackpad

Customer:

So its possible that a wired mouse may behave differently?

Michelle :

Since the wired mouse uses UBS port which is apart of the Logic Board it helps to helps to see which hardware failure it is. The logic board or your actual trackpad

Customer:

I see. I have a wired mouse at home (at work now) so I'll have to leave work this afternoon and see if that solves the problem. If the wired mouse doesn't work and its the logic board, is that a major repair?

Customer:

Would I lose data stored on the computer?

Michelle :

Yes it is. Its the main component. I however suspect the actual trackpad which is a minor repair. You will not loose any data for either repair. Its always good to have a backup though

Customer:

When will I learn - I was working on this computer over the w/e and failed to do a backup. Last time I am so stupid. Thanks for your help. I need to leave now and test the mouse issue.