Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have an ipad2. Friday I entered many pages in NOTES and

Customer Question

I have an ipad2. Friday I entered many pages in NOTES and since Saturday have been unable to open NOTES either with the icon or drop down list.
What can i do to access or recover NOTES
Thank you
Lynn
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the notes app...:(

What happens when you try to open notes? Does it not open at all OR is it frozen on any note?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It opens for one seconds and disappears
Thank you, Lynn.

Let's try a reset first. Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No NOTES still won't open. It opens but closes immediately
Let's now close the open apps and try again.

Double click on the home button. This will bring up a layer of apps to the bottom part of the screen. You will find your notes app there (you may have to swipe from right to left to see the app).

If the ipad is having iOS 6 or earlier, tap and hold on the app until it wiggles. Now click on the "-" button next to it so that the open notes app is closed. Now click on the home button once so that the wiggling stops.

If the ipad is having ios 7, double click the home button to bring up the layer of open apps to the bottom. Find your notes app there and swipe the notes app upwards.

Let me know whether this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it. Removed NOTES app from botXXXXX XXXXXst but it still won't open
:(

Let's now reset all settings. Please make sure you are connected to wifi as you may need to configure the settings again.

Go to settings > general > reset > reset all settings.

Let's see whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tried that Asked me for my passcode setting or something like that you only get 3 attempts and I have no idea what they want. It shows keypad like a telephone
Have you recently updated this to ios 7? Did you have any passcode set on the ipad before that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i haven't upgraded and don't think I ever set a passcode but am not sure
It looks like it had a passcode which you may have set while setting up the ipad.

Do you have the computer where the ipad is actually synced to?

If you have, open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. The ipad name would be listed to the top right of the itunes. Click on the ipad name, and it will ask you to set up the settings.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try later i have an apt now thanks for all your help once i do that and get my passcode what do i do then?
If the reset all settings too does not resolve the issue, I am sorry to say, but you would need to restore the ipad as it is possibly a software problem.

When you click on the ipad name in itunes, you will be able to find the restore button to the middle of the screen. Restore it and finally select the option "restore from backup" and select the most recent backup (this will remove everything on the device, but you may be able to get everything back if the latest backup has all the data).

If that too does not work, restore it again and this time set it up as a new ipad. (This will remove everything on the device).

Take your own time. Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Hi Lynn

Were you able to open the notes app after syncing/restoring from itunes?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vinod
I finally have time to try to resolve this problem. I will check the settings in I tunes on my computer and hopefully get the passcode. If not I have a question. The other day I backed up in I cloud. Now if I have to reset the ipad should I do it in itunes and would that include the latest lost notes or should I pick the backup before that? Trying to save time here
Thx
Lynn

We would need to do a restore first.

After restoring, you will be given an option whether to restore from a backup or to set up as new. You can use the restore from backup (icloud backup if you have that option).

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad.. Your ipad name would now be listed in itunes. Click on it and you will find a restore button.

If your notes were there on the ipad when the backup was done (I believe they were), they will be there after restoring from the backup.

Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You will not believe this but when i open i tunes my i pad is not listed it goes directly to my music.
I also tried logging in fresh not with the icon and i get a message that my apple id does not have permission to access itunes connect

This is ridiculous what do i do now?
So is your ipad screen still asking for that 4 digit password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesi had seen my ipad name before in i tunes on my computer but not now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i connect the ipad to the computer it says Apple ipad Camera detected

Select the program to launch this program with a drop down list
Let's try it this way.

Download the latest itunes to the computer by going to

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Once done, place your ipad into recovery mode. To do that, connect the ipad to the computer. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple logo, let go off the power button but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec. Your computer should now recognize the ipad in recovery mode and asks you to restore. (Remember in recovery mode your ipad screen will show a usb cable and itunes logo)

If you have any difficulty placing it in recovery mode, try this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01Vx0TXANk

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have it in recovery. It said I amy lose all my data but can recover some later. Please advise exactly how i would do that so when I have time I will do it.

Now there is no name for my Ipad on the computer but it was called LYNN

It says 4 hours remaining so I am leaving it alone. In case you are not working tonigh can you send the next instructions and also how to get my contacts etc back.

Thanks

Also a question about my Moms I pad one we were discussing the other

Day and since we are in Mexico it seems the entire ipad is set in Spanish. I removed the what I could so she can email and set it with New York but her keypad is still in Spanish

I am on her i pad now

Thx

day da

After the restore is complete, you will have the option to set it up. But if your computer is not having a backup or if it cannot find an icloud backup, it will ask you to set it up as new. In that case, we have no choice but to set it up as new.

(Note: This process needs to be done only if you have set up your ipad as new. Now, once the ipad is set up, on the ipad, go to settings > general > reset > erase all content and settings. Once done, you will be asked to set it up. Now you will have an option to restore from an icloud backup).

I will be going to sleep within a few minutes, as it has already past midnight here. You can always reply to me, I will read that the first thing in the morning.

Regarding your Mom's ipad, is only the keypad set to Spanish? Are the other functions still in English?
By keypad, I believe when you type something, it comes out in Spanish, correct?

While in the keypad, you can see a button (with a globe icon on it). Tap on it until you see English (US) or English (UK). That will set the language for the keypad.

Or if the entire ipad is showing Spanish letters, navigate through the following icons

Ajustes > General > Internacional > Idioma and select English

Let me know
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow that was easy thx my moms is all setmup
Great to know that...:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now what about mine how do i know if my set up is new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ipad still has my contacts and calendar etc thank God but notes doesn't open.
Is there a way to tey to just restore notes from icloud or itunes?
after the restore, you will be given a choice whether to set up as new or to restore from a recent backup (from the computer or from the icloud).

You can select restore from the backup then.

If your computer is not having the backup (or if it does not give you the restore from icloud), then you will be given only one choice and that is to set it up as new.

we can come to know of it only after we finish the restore.

There is no way we can restore only the notes, because the backup is in a non readable format and it has everything in it (notes, contacts etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok get some sleep Nd thanks so much
We will be in touch
Good night
sure.

Just reply if you find any difficulty.
Hi Lynn

I did not get any reply from you thus far. Just curious to know whether you were able to restore