Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

Greetings, I am having a problem understanding how to download

Greetings, I am having a problem understanding how to download iOS7 into my iPad 3. The iPad gives me this message:
This update cannot be installed because it requires at least 3.4 GB of storage. You can make more storage available by deleting items in the Usage Settings.
My question is: Am I deleting the apps or iPad storage or iCloud storage or what?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be glad to assist you.

The notification is letting you know that you don't have enough physical space on your iPad for the download to complete. Then install itself on your device, it then shows you how to access Usage Settings.

From there you can see where most of your space is being used. It can be Apps, Music, Videos, Documents.

If you have a bunch of unused or unnecessary apps you can remove some to create space.

I hope this helps and if you have any follow ups. please let me know will be glad to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could prob. eliminate a bunch of apps that don't take up a lot of space but is there a way that I can eliminate portions of memory from ex. music storage? also, if I have an app like St. Pete Times what am I storing from them?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Do you sync your iPad with a PC?

Also, I am not sure what you asking about the St. Pete Times app. Can you clarify your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have synced my iPad to my pre-intel G5 in the past but was kinda waiting for the new Mac Pro to come out so that I could get everything on the same page (seemless intigration). Should I just hang loose until the new Pro comes out ?

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
To remove content such as Movies or Music. You would have to do that with the computer you sync your iPad with.

From the sync options you can go into Music tab and check only what you want to keep on the device. Then after you apply and a sync runs it removes what you did not check.

Or you can plug the iPad into a computer and open iTunes. Click on the iPad under devices on the left in iTunes. Then you will have a summary of the iPad. You can check the box manually manage music and movies.

Then iTunes expand the iPad under devices on the left pane. Click on the music tab, then remove the songs you want to remove.

If you decide to wait for the new iMac you will need to setup a sync with your new computer. At this point it would be best to remove the apps you no longer want or need to create space.

If that creates a enough space then you can go ahead with the upgrade w/o having to wait.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience: 4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.