Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

Hi, Has anyone had a chance yet to look over the new iOS 7.0?

Has anyone had a chance yet to look over the new iOS 7.0? I just downloaded it into iPhone5 and iPad3. It's very pretty, but I already have two questions:
1) In Photos app, when photos is highlighted at the bottom of screen, I tapped around w my pictures. It started with Moments, but now I have it in Years. How can I get back to Moments?
2) We used to be able to close apps to save battery power by double clicking the home button. The open apps could then be closed by double clicking on them. It doesn't seem possible to close anything now. Did Apple do that on purpose so our batteries would wear out sooner and we'd be in the market new phone???? If so, pretty low-life deal!

Thanks,
Holly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

1. To get back to moments, tap any photo. It will then say collections Tap any photo and it will then say moments again
2. Now to close open apps, double click them as you normally would, by wipe up to close them

Michelle :

*Double click the home button like you normally would and then press and hold the open app and swipe up.

Michelle :

Please let me know if I can assist you any further

Customer:

Hi Michelle,

Customer:

I'm so glad you picked up myquestion b/c you were very helpful the last time you answered me.

Customer:

Thank you re: pictures. Whew!! never would have figured that one out on my own.

Michelle :

Awww thank you Holly. Were you able to follow my instructions?

Michelle :

I'm glad you were able to get back to Moments in your photo application. What about force quitting open applications?

Customer:

now, about closing apps, I tried pressing, holding then swiping up and nothing happened. When I double click the home button, the open apps show their icons plus the last screen I was looking at in that app, correct?

Michelle :

Yes when you double click the home button it will show the open apps. With iOS7, instead of hitting the X, you will need to swipe the application upwards. You will notice a significant space above the open applications that is where you need to swipe them towards

Michelle :

If you would like a visual representation to better assist you, click on this link for a youtube demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnASwRSiHoM

Customer:

OK, thanks for the visual. I was swiping the icon, not the actual screen.

Customer:

Send smiley faces again. Then, I have another question I'll give you about photos

Michelle :

Im so sorry, I should have been more clear. Was there anything els I can assist you with Holly?

Michelle :

You can ask me now

Customer:

No problem-- I'll prob look at that you tube thingy again- there was kind of another intro to the new iOS there.

Customer:

OK- next question-- in photos app, I have photos from Newtown ,CT from two separate visits. Can I combine them in Moments onto one date?

Michelle :

You can combine them, but not from the phone without making a separate album. If they are in albums that were synced from your computer, you will need to add it to that album and then re-sync it

Customer:

It will get complicated, I'm sure. One set of photos seems to be in an album. the other set is not in an album at all. Maybe easier if I work w them in computer, then move them back to phone if I want them still in phone?

Michelle :

Thats much easier. You can not move a photo that was taken on the phone and place them into an album created on the computer. You can only move photos albums that were created on the phone. I hope that makes sense

Customer:

Yes, that makes sense. It works like working with things on iPad, it seems.

Michelle :

Yes they are exactly the same. Did you have any other questions regarded iOS 7 that I can provide assistance for?

Customer:

No, I'm good for now. As i mess around with it more, I'm sure I'll have more, so we can close out now.

Customer:

Thank you!

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Michelle,

Next question- new topic. I hv MacBookPro that is about 4 years old. I love it.

I have not upgraded to Mountain Lion, but I suppose I should, especially now, with the new iOS on phone.

1.) My old(ish) laptop can handle Mt. Lion, right? I have previously put in more memory so now it has 8GB so the new OS should work efficiently.

I think it's about $29, correct?

2.) Do you know if apple is about to announce a newer OS than Mountain Lion and I should wait a month or so?

Holly

Hi Holly
1. If you have 8GB of Ram you are in good shape. There is a new iTunes update available so you should defiantly update iTunes for better compatibility with iOS 7. To update, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software update. (If you have not done so already)

2. I would hold off on upgrading your operating system since Apple will release a new operating system later this fall called OS X Mavericks http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/You will need to at least have 10.6 installed in order to upgrade to Mavericks when it becomes available. Once released, it will be in the Mac App Store

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Since it's now officially fall, I guess Maverick is coming soon. I read the preview- it looks awesome. I just love Apple creations. They are always so intuitively easy (well, except Moments and closing apps in iOS7), always elegant and so much more creative than what their competition offers.

I've only ever had to use a PC in my teaching classroom. So painful compared to Apple products.

I assume Apple will let us know thru their marketing gurus when Maverick becomes available.

Holly

I could not agree with you more! They are true innovators and trendsetters. Apple will send out an email the day it becomes available for purchase from the App store. If you are subscribed to receive emails regarding news and events ( I am pretty sure you are). You can always check by visiting https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/ Click on Manage you Apple ID. After signing in, choose Language and Contact Preferences. Make sure "Communication from Apple" is Checked.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

How can I find out on iPhone which version of iTunes I currently have?

Thanks,

Holly

PS- send smiley faces w answer. I have unlimited subscription

Hi Holly,

I was referring to the version of iTunes on your computer. Since the itunes on your phone updates with the new operating system. To find out what version of itunes you are using on your computer, Open itunes. Then choose iTunes from the top menu bar and select about itunes. You will see words scrolling up. The version number will be first. You should be running 11.1
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK, yes, I have 11.1 for iTunes.

but- I have messed up something- iTunes is no longer in my dock permanently. I had to open it from applications folder. When I closed it, it disappeared fm dock.

Can you refresh me on how to get it back into the dock?

Thanks

Sure! Go back to the Applications Folder in finder. Locate iTunes then drag the icon back into the dock. You will notice the applications that are already in the dock will move to make room. Do not let go until the applications move out of the way.
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist