Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

trying to update my ipad, keep asking for a 4 digit number

trying to update my ipad, keep asking for a 4 digit number which I don,t know. when I try to input a number it disable to ipad
This is an known problem. Unfortunately you have to restore (reset it to factory settings) your iPad from iTunes on your computer. That is your only way to fix the problem since you are locked out.

You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore
  • Let iTunes restore your ipad and it will take a while to restore it.

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank or shows black screen. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

If you don't have iTunes application installed on your computer, download and install it from here :

If you have synced your iPad with iTunes on your PC or backed up to iCloud, then you can restore your data back after restoring your iPad. You will get an option to restore from backup on your iPad after restoring from iTunes.

If you have any trouble following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Best Regards,
Linda, If you are unable to restore then make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your PC. Download latest version of iTunes from here :

Then follow the steps above to restore your iPad.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still not able to restart my ipad have tried to install updates but it is saying that I have an error and it is still asking for a password. I have tried to do your instruction but is still not rebooting the ipad,

First download and install latest version of iTunes on your PC from think link ---->

After installing latest update of iTunes, connect your iPad to your PC and open iTunes. Then put it to DFU Mode. Remember, your iPad will show black screen when it is in DFU Mode. If it shows any other screen, then it is not in DFU Mode. It is hard to get it into DFU Mode. It will only work when it is in DFU Mode.

See this video (ignore the first step in the video, i.e turn off device step) :

The video is for iPhone or iPod, but the procedure is same on iPad too. Try it.

Let me know if you are still unable to restore it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

having used your instructions I had to restore the ipad and have lost all my photo's and apps have re-installed the apps but not able to get my holiday photo's back. so very upset.

I'm sorry that you lost the photos. Unfortunately there was no other way to fix the problem. Nothing can be recovered from an disabled iPad. That is how Apple designed it due to security reasons. It is not my fault Linda. Restoring was our only choice to fix this problem.

If you have any quedtuons, please let me know. If you are satisfied with my service please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,