Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My IPAD is disabled, I downloaded new 7.0 and put in a password

My IPAD is disabled, I downloaded new 7.0 and put in a password XXXXX I used it a couple of days and then yesterday and after many tries it came up disabled...never happened before.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Unfortunately, your iPad is completely disabled and you have to restore (reset it to factory settings) your iPad from iTunes on your computer. That is your only way to fix the problem.

You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

If you don't have iTunes application installed on your computer, download and install it from here :

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Barbara, If you have synced your iPad with iTunes on your PC or backed up to iCloud, then you can restore your contents back after restoring your iPad. You will get an option to restore from backup on your iPad after restoring from iTunes.

If you have any trouble following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

iTunes came up on iPad with and large end of usb cord but I could not do anything and restsore did not show up.

Barbara, Do you have iTunes application installed on your PC ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Then open iTunes application on your PC and connect your iPad to your PC with the USB Cable. Does iTunes recognize your iPad in recovery mode and asks you to restore it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says I need to update iTunes. Genius is try to connect to Apple

We are almost there Barbara. You are on the right track. Just download and install latest iTunes from here :

Then repeat the steps and iTunes will fix it for you
Barbara, how is it going ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Downloaded latest iTunes, it said my ipad not eligible for this ?

Did you installed latest update after downloading it ?
What does your iPad shows now Barbara ? Black screen or disabled screen or the screen with iTunes icon ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ipad black...should it still be connected to computer. I can not download os x 10.6.8

Are you using a Mac ? If so, what version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.5.8 downloads up to date

Unfortunately, your Mac OS X is very old and latest version of iTunes won't work on 10.5.8

Latest iTunes requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later.

Your iPad is in DFU Mode which you did it correctly. Now, all you have to do is, connect to latest iTunes and hit Restore. Do you have another PC or access to another PC ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can check with neighbors. can it be microsoft?

Yep, that will work. Just install latest iTunes on their PC, then connect your iPad and it will ask you to restore it. Click Restore.

If their PC didn't recognize your iPad, then press and hold down both Power and Home button on your iPad until it shows the Apple logo. Then put it to DFU Mode again. Print out the instructions above if needed

And add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection.

Also, I would recommend to update your Mac OS X to latest version if possible. The latest version is 10.8 Mountain Lion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will try and get back with you.

Ok Barbara. Post a message here when you are back and I will get back to ASAP
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome :)
Hi Barabara, Just checking. How is it going ?