Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Earlier today I had a notice on my ipad that update to ios7

Earlier today I had a notice on my ipad that update to ios7 was available. I did the upgrade, had to change password, etc. Then it requested a 4 digit passcode, which I entered. But when I tried to log on later it won't accept the passcode and I'm locked out. What to do?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This is an known problem with iOS 7 update. Unfortunately you have to restore (reset it to factory settings) your iPad from iTunes on your computer. That is your only way to fix the problem since you are locked out.

You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.
  • Let iTunes restore your iPad. It will take a while to restore your iPad

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

If you don't have iTunes application installed on your computer, download and install it from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you have synced your iPad with iTunes on your PC or backed up to iCloud, then you can restore your contents/files back after restoring your iPad. You will get an option to restore from backup on your iPad after restoring from iTunes.

If you have any trouble following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I posted a further request on this earlier, but didn't hear back from you. I haven't been able to try your response because my ipad screen had a message ... something like "The device has been disabled." The screen went black, and I haven't been able to turn the ipad back on. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the delayed response. Sorry I didn't get any message from you. Did you tried the steps exactly the way I mentioned ? You have to put your iPad to DFU mode to restore it. In DFU mode your iPad will show black screen. Can you try again ?
Hi there. Connect your iPad to your PC and open iTunes. Does iTunes recognize it ?
If your PC is not recognizing it, then press and hold down both Home button and Power button at the same until it shows Apple logo. It will return back to disabled sceen.

Then put it to DFU Mode again after connecting it to your PC. Also, download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Just checking. How is it going ?