Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My husband downloaded IOS 7 to his iPad 2 last night and now

My husband downloaded IOS 7 to his iPad 2 last night and now can't get past the screen displaying a diagram of the iTunes logo and indicating the plug to be connected up to his iPad. What do we do now? Tried turning off, several times but each time we just get the Apple logo then up pops the above diagram again. I am loathe to download IOS 7 to my MacPro and/or iPhone 5 in case I too have problems. (We are in our sixties and though I will "have a go", I would appreciate a simple answer that we can understand!!

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and i will do my best to assist you.

I am very sorry to hear about the issue.

This update has not been completed successfully, which is why the iPad is telling you to connect it to the iTunes.

Do you have iTunes currently installed on any of your computers?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have iTunes installed on my MacPro but have been reluctant to connect my husband's iPad to it in case I then have a similar problem.

Hi Merrilyn,

Can you tell me if you ever took a backup of this iPad to either the MacPro in discussion or any other computer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not that I am aware.....

Did you try connecting the iPad to the power outlet to see if that turns itself on?

Did this happen during the update?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have now connected iPad to the power outlet but it still hasn't gone past the screen with the iTunes/connection cord message.

My husband tells me it happened during the update last night.

Merrilyn,

We will need to recover the iPad using iTunes.

At this stage, i will not recommend you to update any other devices until we finish this procedure so you know exactly what to do when a things go wrong.

One recommendation is to use iCloud to back-up all your iDevices. Doing this will allow you to recover data.

Now since we do not have any back-up, recovering it from iTunes will erase all existing data from your husbands iPad.

You will need to perform a recovery-mode restore

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is already showing the "Connect to iTunes" screen, please go to step 5.

1. Connect your USB cable to your computer but not to the iPad until step 3.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

- If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button down, connect the USB cable to the iPad. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. When this screen appears, you can release the Home button:

USB cord pointing the iTunes symbol

Note: If the image of a battery appears, let the device charge for at least ten minutes to ensure that the battery has some charge, and then start with step 2 again. If you don't see the Connect to iTunes screen, try these steps 1 through 4 again.

5. iTunes should automatically open and display the following message:

Alert text: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode..."
"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

Note: If iTunes not open after two minutes, please open iTunes yourself.

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.

This will recover iPad using iTunes and erase all data.

Please let me know how it goes.
Hi Merrilyn

Did you manage to get this working? Please let me know if you need any assistance. I will be waiting to hear back from you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kamil,

Have followed all the steps and used iTunes to restore the device but iPad still showing the USB cord pointing to the iTunes symbol? (Still connected up from laptop to iTunes)

What now?

Hi Merrilyn,

While you performed the steps, did you notice any change on the iPad after which it came back to this screen or the screen did not change at all?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kamil,

I may be getting somewhere at last! I think I have backed up the iPad to my computer and now the iPad has opened with the greeting "Hello" and asking me to set it up with info such as "Language", "Country" and now choosing a Wi-Fi network. The Password XXXXX be a problem as my husband cannot recall it!!? I will persevere if you think I am on the right track and see what I can do.

Thanks for getting me this far - can you standby a little longer in case something else pops up that I find to be a problem.

(We are experiencing very bad weather here in Perth, Western Australia tonight and may lose power which will further add to my frustration!)

Hi Merrilyn,

No problems - I will be here for the next 7 to 8 hours.

I see we have successfully restored the iPad and now you are getting the options to set it up, as you would when you turn it on for the first time.

I will help you get the password XXXXX well once the iPad has successfully restored.

Kindly let me know when you have it setup.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kamil,

All set up but of course none of his contacts, photos, etc. etc. How can I retrieve without starting all over again?

Can I disconnect iPad from computer now?

You can disconnect it form the computer now. Unfortunately those are not recoverable unless you have back up.

Did he take any back-up to iCloud before the previous update?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doubt he would have backed up to iCloud but before I began restoring device through iTunes, the question was asked if I wished to back up to this computer (MacPro) and I answered "yes". Any chance I may be able to retrieve?

Hi Merrilyn,

I understand how important that information stored on the iPad is but unfortunately, this new iOS 7 update has caused other users inconvenience too.

If the back up was successful, which i hardly doubt is then YES it can be recovered.

To restore via a backup, right click on the iPad from the left window of iTunes once again. If you successfully saved a back up from the earlier step, you can click on the option "Restore from Backup."

Please try this and let me know.

For future, i will recommend setting up an iCloud account so that all data can be backed up automatically, and this should be done on all iDevices that you have.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks
Hi

Did it work? Please let me know.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Kamil,

Thank you so much for your assistance tonight. I haven't completely solved my problem but after four hours working on it and the lateness of the hour (midnight), I'm going to just call in quits. My husband can take his iPad into the Apple Store sometime and get them to work it out - after all, it was Apple's download that caused the problem in the first place.

I was very satisfied with your help.

Kind regards,

Merrilyn

Hi Merrilyn

Thank you so much for the kind words. I wish you all the best.

Should you ever need assistance please do ask me and I will be happy to assist.

If you can take a minute to rate my answer that will be highly appreciated. To rate my answer, you can click on the smiley icon.

Thanks