Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I was attempting to back-up all my photos from my macbook to

I was attempting to back-up all my photos from my macbook to an external hard-drive to clear space on my mac, however I accidentally moved my iphoto library to the trash before I copied it to the external hard-drive.

I have not emptied the trash, (the trash in my mac . . . not the iphoto trash). I tried recovering the files from the trash but for some reason iphoto could not read the files and only a few were imported. So now the iphoto library is only a few photos and I am desperatly looking for the others.

I was trying a free demo of seagate recovery software but I am not confident enough to try anything on my own, maybe if it were anything except photos. I am using another computer right now, I am not using to the macbook with the lost photos in hopes of saving them.

Do you have any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have been working on this problem since yesterday, i just don't know what I am doing. We can screen share, let me switch computers and get on the one with the lost pictures.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://tinyurl.com/o8g99pt

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am unable to join session, it says unable to launch ScreenConnect Client

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I use firefox. and I don't think the the remote application is running

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update Jason.

Please, use Safari instead. Firefox will not work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

safari is giving me the same message, I have tried multiple times.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Curious.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

my mac will not run program

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left
- Click System Preferences
- Click Security
- Choose the option on the bottom that says it can install from anywhere and save that.

Once that is complete, please, try again.

Once I remote in, we can change that back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry this is so painful but I do not have the option of choosing the option that says it can install from anywhere . . .

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Which options do you have?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do not see that option to choose from

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
What does that mean?

When you click Security, what do you see?

On the bottom of the page, there should be options.
- Choose "Allow Applications load from ... Anywhere"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left
- Click About this Mac

Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

10.4.11

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

When you do try and run the App, what error are you given?

Also, are you sure that you are logged in as an Administrator?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am the only user of this computer so I think I am the admin.

also the error occurs while launching/running the application,

it says; Missing version field in response from server when accessing resource

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the update.

What error does it give you when you do the www.Join.me option and run the file after it is downloaded?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

that says; you cannot use the application join.me with this version of Mac OS X

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Oh okay, thank you for the update.

Let's do this the hard way then.

First close iPhoto.

When you go to the pictures folder, how big is the iPhoto library? Right click it, choose Info.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, I closed iphoto. looking in a pictures folder in finder, it says it is 129.9 MB but I don't think that is what I am after. My lost photos are somewhere else . . .

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
Okay, rename the "iPhoto Library" file to "Old iPhoto Library"

Then go to the trash, right click the iPhoto Library file and choose Restore.

After that restore is complete, re-open iPhoto and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do not see restore but I am searching the contents of the library to see if the missing photos are there. I think they are but I still don't see a restore option.

I moved the iphoto library out of the trash, renamed it, and am trying to copy the photos to a thumb drive.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
A better way to do this is restore the whole file and then copy it into the picture folder. This way to do this is restore the whole file and then copy it into the pictures folder. This way when you open iPhoto it will look into that file.
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.