Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.

I have 2011 IMAC 21. It has been stuck on a white screen.

I have 2011 IMAC 21'. It has been stuck on a white screen. Can you help please
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. What version of OS X are you running?

Customer:

OSX Mountain Lion

Michelle :

Thank you for the additional information. The first step in our troubleshooting process is to check to see if you hard drive is OK. Bootable issues can be caused by a faulty hard drive or faulty operating system. Lion has a recovery partition that will allow us to do so. To boot into the recovery partition, power down your computer and then power it on again while pressing and holding both Command+R key until the apple logo appears

Customer:

It is showing an OS X Utitilies Menu

Michelle :

Next, select disk utilities

Customer:

yes selected

Michelle :

Once it is open, select macintosh HD in the left column and then choose verify disk at the bottom of the page

Customer:

It comes with red letter sentence "Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk"

Michelle :

Go ahead and click on repair disk

Michelle :

Hopefully disk utility will be able to repair the hard drive

Customer:

I hope so. How long will this take. It is a 500GB HDD

Michelle :

It should take about 5-10 mins

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

or less..

Customer:

completed volume repair and now updating support partitions for the volume as required

Michelle :

Thats sounds like good new. When it is done, restart your computer (click the apple logo in the upper left and choos restart) and see if it boots up.

Customer:

this is about 15 mins since the action started and is still hasn't completed. This update is taking quite a while to complete.

Michelle :

Can you check and make sure it is not frozen?

Customer:

How do I do that?

Michelle :

Just move the mouse around to make sure the actual screen is not frozen . It not, see if you can exit disk utility

Michelle :

by clicking on the red dot in the upper left corner

Customer:

I will do that. But I observe that it says the DIsk is not mounted. That is Mount Point: Not mounted

Michelle :

Normally disk utility will unmount the drive so it can repair it. At the top menu bar in disk utility, there is a mount button. Select macintosh HD and choose mount

Customer:

Also it says : Operations still in Progress when I was going to quit.

Michelle :

Oh ok.. Then leave it alone. It may take some time so lets give it time to finish

Michelle :

How is it going so far?

Customer:

it is still repairing the volume

Michelle :

Has it progressed or does it look like it was in the same place?

Customer:

It seem like repeating the process after indicating thus;" incorrect number of thread records". This it has done 3 times

Michelle :

Is there a status bar at the bottom?

Customer:

anytime it indicates the above comment it starts again.

Customer:

the below indicator says less than 1 min

Michelle :

Has it always said less than a min?

Customer:

no it started counting down from 9mins

Michelle :

Ok good so it looks there we are almost thre

Michelle :

there

Michelle :

Pretty long minute :)

Michelle :

Do you have a backup by the way?

Michelle :

I see you may be away from your computer. Please give me an update when you return

Customer:

this stuff is not ending and now my ups has shutdown along with my imac. so i have started afresh and it is "updating boot support partitions for volume as required".

Michelle :

Do you have a backup?

Michelle :

It looks like there is an issue with your hard drive. We can try a few things before we can conclude that your hard drive needs to be replaced. We can re-format your drive but that wipes your hard drive clean which is why I wanted to know if you have a backup

Customer:

i have no backup

Michelle :

It normally should not take this long if the drive was repairable so we can only hope for the best, XXXXX XXXXX reformatting the drive outside of actually replacing it may be your only option

Customer:

Can I reinstall the OSX

Customer:

I tried but it said my hard drive is locked

Michelle :

In order to re-install the oSX, the hard drive will need to be in working condition. If the errors are not corrected before the installing, it will worsen your hard drives condition

Customer:

but if I reinstall OSX will my data disappear?

Michelle :

The re-install mac os X is for re-installing OSX on a healthy drive and re-installing OSX on a clean drive

Customer:

My challenge is how to unlock my HDD

Michelle :

Your hard drive is bad which is why you are getting the lock error which will prevent you from re-installing your Operating system

Michelle :

Is there another Mac in your household?

Customer:

I have a power PC

Michelle :

No that will not be helpful. Here are your options because it is clear that you are experiencing hard drive issues. Since re-formatting your drive is out of the question since you do not have a backup. Your best option is to take your iMac into the closest apple store to replace the drive. They then have the technology to connect your old hard drive to your computer and attempt to transfer over any data possible

Customer:

Thanks that then I will do.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I hope it all works out for you

Customer:

I pray

Customer:

Bye I will then go ahead and rate the service

Michelle :

Also Mountain lion comes with time machine which automatically backs up your computer. Pretty please buy an external hard drive so this will not happen again .

Customer:

I have an external drive I connected to it for Time Machine. However when I try to do time machine recovery it claimed it can find any data on the drive

Michelle :

Was time machine enabled? It normally pops up an harasses the user until it initiates a backup? I guess its hard to know know. When your get up and running again, open system preferences and choose time machine and make sure the switch is turned on. Im an praying for you.. It looks like you did everything that you were suppose to do with backing up your data. Best of luck :)

Customer:

thanks Michelle

Michelle :

No problem. Thanks for your patience. Bye

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.