Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

The workbook cannot be opened or repaired by microsoft excel

Hello!

I have a mac and im trying to open an excel file that after the automatic trial to repair, gives to me the message that "the workbook cannot be opened or repaired by microsoft excel because it is corrupt." How can I fix it?

I've tried to change the extension .xlsx to .xls and didn't work. 

The file have some macros and I need to keep it.

Also tried some tutorial at the internet but didn't work too.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Which version of Office for mac you have on your mac machine ?

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

14.1.0

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please download following updates and install.

Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 (14.1.0)

Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.3.7 Update

After installing the service pack and update, restart your system. Open Excel and try to open your xlsx file.

If it not helps, please send me that xlsx file. Just go to www.wikisend.com and upload that file. Give me the download link wikisend gives you.

Regards
Jins

===========================================================================================================

Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

1437 udpate was done. The 1410 udpade was not complete because during the installation, there was the following message: "office 2011 14.1.0 update cannot be installed in this disk. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

I've restarted the mac but the message was the same.

Regards

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,can you open that excel file now ? Or still errors ? Can you please send me that excel file ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

download link: http://wikisend.com/download/589902/1_Controles_2013.xlsx

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that file is opening in my system without any errors. That means the file do not have any problem. Can you please give me the exact error message you are getting while you are trying to open this file ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Check the print with the error messages.

And just to confirm, I just could install the update 1437, 1410 there was a error message.

http://wikisend.com/download/188308/Captura de Tela 2013-09-21 às 10.34.46.png

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I found some external links missing errors on your excel book. Please click here and download the repaired file. Open it and check the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

check the prints, still not working :(

http://wikisend.com/download/333890/Captura de Tela 2013-09-21 às 11.52.50.png

http://wikisend.com/download/677612/Captura de Tela 2013-09-21 às 11.53.01.png

http://wikisend.com/download/142704/Captura de Tela 2013-09-21 às 11.53.06.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins there's a information that could be useful: before this problem happens i've lost all the hyperlinks of the file.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
I just converted the file to Excel 97-2003 format. Please download it and check. I am sure some functios will not work properly. But I need to know weather it is opening or not.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jins im out of Office now. Later i'll do it and let you know!
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, take your own time and let me know the result.

regards
Jins
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Here is too late to go bed. So I need to go now. You should try the following fixes.

First you should try to install the remaining update. Disconnect any external hard disk drives that you may have connected to your Mac. Then, try to apply the update. If you can't install that update, exit all active applications. Follow these steps:
  1. On the Apple menu, click Force Quit.
  2. In the Force Quit Applications window, select an application.

Note You cannot exit Finder.
  3. Click Force Quit.

2485648

4. Repeat the previous steps until you exit all active applications.
Warning When an application is forced to exit, any unsaved changes to open documents are not saved.

Try to update again. If it not helps, Check whether Microsoft Office is in Applications folder. If the Microsoft Office folder is not in Applications, Microsoft AutoUpdate does not detect Microsoft Office on the Mac, and it cannot install updates. To verify that the Microsoft Office folder is in the correct location, follow these steps:

1. On the Go menu, click Applications.
  2. Look for the Microsoft Office 2008 or Microsoft Office 2011 folder.
If one of these folders is in Applications, go to method 5.

If the Microsoft Office 2011 or Microsoft Office 2008 folder is not in Applications, you must locate the folder, and then move it to XXXXX do this, follow these steps:
  1. Exit all running applications.
  2. On the File menu, click Find.
  3. In the search parameters, leave the boxes set to Kind and Any.
  4. In the search window, type Office 2011 and then press Enter.
  5. Locate Microsoft Office 2011 in the search results, and then drag the folder to your desktop.
  6. On the Go menu, click Applications.
  7. Drag Microsoft Office 2011 from your desktop to Applications.
Now try to update and try to open your xlsx file.

If it also not helps, please remove office preferences files from your system.

1. On the Go menu, click Home.
  2. Open Library.
    Note The Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

3. Open Preferences.
  4. Arrange files and folders in alphabetical order.
  5. Drag all files that begin with com.microsoft to the Trash.

Open Excel. On the Excel menu, click Help. click Check for Updates, and then click Check for Updates again. If there is updates let the system download and install it. Then try to open your xlsx file.

Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

now it opened with the file that you send, but all macros are lost... Something to do?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, That is the file I converted to old excel format. Some functions and macros compatible with new excel will not work. I sent it to know wheather your excel app is able to open an ordinary excel file or not.

Now, please follow the steps in my previous answer and install the remaining updates. Then try to open the original file.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

I've tried the first steps, but the update did't run. So I went to the library (biblioteca) to delete com.microsoft files, but when I open library, I cannot find the com.microsoft files.

Check the print screen: http://wikisend.com/download/376964/Captura de Tela 2013-09-22 às 10.29.31.png

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
In the library folder you should open preferences folder (I think preferencias in spanish). I hope you can see those files there.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

I did all the steps, but when I tried to open excel, it asks for a key and the 1410 update still not working.

I do not have this key here, this is with the instaler that registred the office in my name.

I also had the office 2008 in the applications. I put it into the trash and left only office 2011.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/684244/Captura de Tela 2013-09-22 às 11.10.10.png

http://wikisend.com/download/375466/Captura de Tela 2013-09-22 às 11.10.34.png

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Your decision for removing 2008 is right. Now you need to enter the key of office 2011 and then you will able to use it as a fresh copy (if the key is not available for now you can use the trial and can enter the key later to activate the product). Then try to open your excel file. If it not helps, you need to perform a clean uninstall of office 2001 as instructed here. Then re-install office 2011 for mac and try to open the file again.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunatelly, i'll need to reinstall, because I the excell file still not opening... After do this I'll let you know if the file are working.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins and how I'll reinstall the office?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

bad news. I went to a specialized place for apple assistance, after remove all the office. It was reinstalled, and the file still not opening! They remove all again, and installed again, but it isn't working.

In other machines, the file opens, but in mine not.

What can be done to solve this!?

Regards!

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Still the same error? Okay, create a new user account on your mac. Then login as that user and try to open the file.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still not opening with another user account. Same error.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now please rename the file's .xlsx extension with .zip then try to open that zip file with excel. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same msg, same error!

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Is your excel fully updated ?

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes!

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have iWork numbers 09 on your mac ?

Regards
Jins
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you have Numbers 09 on your mac, try to open your xlsx file with it. If you do not have numbers or if it not works, please safeboot your mac and open Excel while you are in safe mode. Then by using Excel's File > Open try to open that xlsx file.

If it also do not help, please click here and download Open office for mac. It's free. Install it on your system and try to open your xlsx file with open office's spreadsheet program Calc.

Regards
Jins

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, What about your issue ? Is it okay with open office calc ?

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins,

with openoffice it works!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jins, I think finally we have a solution. I saved a xls version from open office, than open it in excel, and save another version in xlsx, that now is working!

That is what you're gonna suggest?!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The file has several errors and links missed. So, if there are another way, let me know, if not, thats fine.

Regards

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you did it. That is what I like to recommend. Open the corrupted file in Calc and save an xls version from open office. Then open it in excel, and save another version in xlsx. Actually this issue happening with xlsx and docx files files on mac. This xlsx and docx are a compressed file format. By renaming it with ZIP extension we can open those files with a zip utility and can find different xml files in it. These xml files are the soul of the document which stores document data. Chance of these xml file corruption is very high in office for mac than office for windows. So, if it is not necessary save in classic xls and doc document format.

Saving in xls fomat will remove any xlsx only functions. You may need to relink the missing links and may add the lost functions.

Regards
Jins
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sir, Thank you very much for the excellent rating. Remember me, when you need any assistance again. Your business is very valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/ Now let me file this question as closed.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jins
Thank you very much for the good service!
I'll keep your contact for future needs.
Regards