Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

i cal keeps deleting all of my calendar events. I do not use

i cal keeps deleting all of my calendar events. I do not use icloud. I don't even have an icloud account. i back up to crash plan daily. I have tried to download old calendar events and restore them, but it seems like when ical deletes them it removes the files so my back up is not catching them. 

I did a bit more digging and I do have sync services enabled in Outlook. ??

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OSX v 10.7.5

Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart the computer. Then in Finder, press the option key, then GO at the top of the screen to - LIBRARY then open Preferences

Then find and delete this file:

com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist

Exit and go to outlook sync services again. It should work correctly now. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to go ahead and do that now, but i have to ask: do you think my ical events that disappeared will be reinstated or am I going to have to have a good cry?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No you will have to get those from your backup. Is it as Time Machine backup?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you have the latest version of Outlook because there were problems with earlier versions. Go to Outlook / Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. my ical events are still not there. deleting the sync file seems to have turned sync services off in outlook; but nothing has changed in ical which is really my problem. I only included the info about outlook syncing as an FYI in case the sync was the problem.

i back up to crash plan. that's another issue, i don't know what to restore? plus as i mentioned in my first message, it seems like ical or whomever deletes files when it deletes events, so i'm no sure my backups are current (nothing you can do about that I know, but I have to figure out how to prevent this from happening again).

i did need an outlook update (14.3.7), doing that now.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok leave Sync Services off for now. I still don't understand is your backup a Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it's not. I backup my data using CrashPlan. I back up my entire MacHD and my external drive daily.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I don't know how that works if it only keeps a backup of your present hard drive then you may be out of luck.... Time Machine allows you to go back to the past to recover deleted files does that system allow that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does. I can view deleted files and restore them.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK then you need to recover the Calendar folder from before the events were deleted. That folder is in your hidden User Library/Calendar:

Mac Path: /Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars

To get to it on the computer you have to hold the Option key and Go at the top of the screen to Library
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. do I need to delete what's there first? Can I just overwrite with the restore?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can overwrite it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I will give that a shot now and let you know what happens. May take a while, but I will get back to you w/ a rating, or more questions, etc. :-) Thx!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

files almost done restoring. sorry taking so long. have to run out. will update you when i return. thx.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok I do too, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Well. As I feared. Nothing recovered. Here's what I noticed:

I made a copy of my existing calendar files before I overwrote w/ the backups. Looking at them now, I am wondering why ical would only have events recorded in those files, i.e., file create/modify dates thru August 29, 2013; when I know most certainly that I have added multiple events since then. And, if the latest modify date on these files is 8/29/13; how is it that I have events in my calendar for this week, and just about everything previous to 8/29 is gone? Everything previous to 9/16 actually.

Is there anything that you can think of that would cause ical not to update it's event files. I think this is why my backups are not catching anything because there is no evidence of new or modified files to back up.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Take your time.

I'm going to be spending the next two days trying to re-create my billables calendar from emails and file stamps. So I will be here.

thx. Å

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It totally depends on WHICH backup you chose. I have had no success getting Sync Services in Outlook to work properly since Lion so I suggest you leave that off.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. I hear ya. I chose the latest, but I can't figure how the latest was 8/29 and it still had info in it from 9/16 with all those gaps. Anyway. We tried! Oh and I definitely plan to leave the sync stuff OFF! Somehow I have a gut feeling that that's the culprit even tho I can't figure how. I'll go ahead and rate you and get you paid now. Do you have to have the last word for meto get back to that screen? I'll check in a few. If so go ahead and shoot me one last note; if not I'll get you closed out just as soon as I get dinner too the table! Thanks for trying!! Cheers XXXXX XXXXX Friday. Å