Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Would like to upgrade my Mac to OS 10.7. Heres the specifications OS

Would like to upgrade my Mac to OS 10.7.

Here's the specifications
OS 10.6.8
Macintosh 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

How do I do that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To upgrade, you can download Lion from the Mac App Store. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in App Store. Once the App store opens, Type in Lion in the search field located in the upper right.

Customer:

Does this app also apply to MacBook?

Customer:

Does it cost?

Michelle :

Any Mac running 10.6 or higher will have the App store installed

Customer:

How do I get to the App store, is it in iTunes?

Michelle :

This is were you will download all of your apps moving forward. Yes, Mountain Lion is $19

Michelle :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Type in App store in the search box

Michelle :

You will see The app store appear. It has a Blue icon with an A

Customer:

OK, I haven't been keeping track of all Mac's OS versions.

Customer:

Could I have a refresher?

Michelle :

Sure. First are you currently chatting from a Mac with 10.6 on it?

Customer:

One of my computers has 10.5.6 or something like that.

Customer:

Yes I am using 10.6.8 what is that considered? Snow Leopard?

Michelle :

The computer that has 10.5 (Leopard) will need to be upgraded to 10.6 (snow leopard) to then upgrade to 10.7

Michelle :

So then the computer you are currently on can upgrade to 10.7

Customer:

What's 10.7 is Lion, what's Mountain Lion, which is what I see on the home page of the App Store

Michelle :

10.7 is Lion and 10.8 is mountain Lion. Since you are just upgrading now, Mountain Lion is what you will upgrade to

Customer:

Oh, now do I have to do them in order ie., if I skip 10.7 will that be a problem or will it be OK to just go straight to 10.8 Mountain Lion

Michelle :

You can go straight to 10.8 :0

Michelle :

10.7 is not even available for download

Customer:

Oh! Ok.

Michelle :

The installation will take about 1 hour from start to finish

Customer:

Do I have to make sure some of my software will still work with 10.8? IE., ProTools LE 8.

Customer:

Actually, I have FeedForAll, a MS Word package... do I assume that they're forward compatible?

Michelle :

Yes you do. I am glad you brought that up! Most programs will place that info on there site. So be sure to check out their site before upgrading. MS word will work fine

Customer:

OK. thanks.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I guess that's it for now. Thanks so much!

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.