Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

I have a new ipod nano. I have loaded music OK but I cannot

Customer Question

I have a new ipod nano. I have loaded music OK but I cannot hear any sound at all and I have tried it with both the supplied earbuds and with other headphones.
still no sound even though the screen shows that music is playing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the ipod...:(

How long have you been facing this issue?

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a brand new ipod nano. It is 1 week old. I have never heard a sound from it.

Thank you, Christine.

There is a chance it is a defective ipod. Anyway, we will try some troubleshooting here.

Let's try a reset. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the screen goes dark. The Apple logo should appear after a few seconds, then the Home screen should appear.

If that does not resolve your issue, then try a restore. Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipod. Your ipod name would now be listed in itunes. Click on the ipod name, and now to the middle of the screen, you will find the restore button. Restore it and sync all the songs again.

If that too does not resolve the issue, and since you have tried with different headphones, I am sorry to say, but honestly the ipod needs to be replaced. Since it is under warranty (within the first year), you can get a free replacement from the apple store nearby or by calling apple care. Or the store you purchased it from might also give a replacement.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I returned the iPod to the shop only to discover that I needed to push the contacts of the headphones into the device much more firmly.
It then worked OK

Good to know that it is working now anyway...:)