Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

New desk Mac -- some transferred Kindle books will open, some

Customer Question

New desk Mac -- some transferred Kindle books will open, some do not. New downloads purchased from Kindle do not download at all -- repeatedly, Download Failed. Bought Mac Air laptop at the same time -- Kindle seems to download fine there, seamlessly. Please advise for fix. Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Question, have you tried using the kindle cloud reader ?

https://read.amazon.com/ It runs from a web browser, and it should work..

Will this let you read and view your books that you have purchased?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you received my response? I can send again if needed.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no.. I did not receive your reply.. ( only seen this reply asking me if I had seen your reply and that you could send it again)

Can you send it again please? Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I had responded that 1) my amazon Cloud player seems to work fine; 2) Cloud allows me to read but with Kindle tools of manipulation of text, e.g., copy, note, highlight, and so on. For teaching I need these tools. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Received the re/sent? If not, please advise how to send my messages.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

... message below, should read "without" Kindle tools

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply..

So the books are in the cloud reader, and theres no issue with the account itself.

Its only an issue with the kindle for mac app.

So we can go thoroughly through the issue, i need to ask a few more questions.

What version of mac os do you have on the non working mac?

10.6.8 10.7.4 10.8.5 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OS X
VERSION 10.8.4

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!

At any point since you have had this computer..

At any point was the kindle desktop app working properly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I have an idea of what may be causing the issue.. Just a few more questions if you dont mind.

When you started using this computer.. How many days, weeks, months was it before you tried to install the kindle app and use it?

Did you start using it right away when you purchased this computer with 10.8 , or...

Were you using the computer for a while , loading other programs, etc.. And then decided to load the kindle app?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Answer: I have had the new Mac for three weeks -- I tried the amazon/Kindle function in the first two days, that is, purchasing a new book and only able to see it on Cloud. I do recall that Kindle app for Mac may have taken place during a couple day set up while other apps, etc., were being downloaded, yes, that is possible.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Lets try something simple..

Shut down the mac.. hold down the shift key, keep holding it.

Start the mac.. ( that should put you in safe mode )

Now, try the kindle app.. Do your books still say download failed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am I to hold down the Shift key throughout the shut down process? Not sure I did. In any case, I ordered a new, and different, book to go through the process again after shutting down and restarting. Checked Deliver to James' Kindle for Mac for which the app is downloaded, found the book in Kindle, but like the others continued to fail to download.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if we started up in safe mode.

Its not when your shutting down the mac that you need to hold down the shift key.

Its when you press power, to turn on the mac.. Hold the shift key while you press power.

And when you boot up, it should let you know your in safe mode..

Are we currently in safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will run the procedure again to make sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Must be in safe mode, that was different opening back up. Had to restart Firefox app to answer this message.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent..

Once were in safe mode.. Lets try this with the kindle for mac app

Open Kindle software, go to Preferences, hit 'deregister' button. but not the 'remove content' button, hit the register button and fill in your amazon ID and PW, hit return, close the preferences window.. and now try to download or read books.. Can you?

If not, then Id like to offer you a screen sharing session. Where I can connect to you and try to run some steps in person.

Some of the steps I want to run are checking the permissions on the appication support / kindle folder.. Deleting the kindle plist, reinstalling the app, deregistering - reregistering the account.. And probably a repetition of those steps in different orders.

The issue can and has been solved, and as your aware, kindle for mac can work.. Its just a matter of getting it working the first time..

If the de register / register steps dont work.. Please send a reply and let me know if you would be willing to try a screen share session.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin, since I have done the procedure twice, recommended by amazon, of deregister, etc., with no help, you want to skip and go to screen sharing?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thats probably best.. ( my apologies for the delay, had an issue starting the connection software on my end )

Here is the link to get connected.

http://166.78.231.170:8040

The session id / password is amazon

once entered, it will ask you to download a file.. Please do so. Once downloaded, make sure to open that file and install it. ( as that file will connect us )

If you run into any issues connecting please send a reply and let me know. If you do connect, please also send a reply so that I know its time to connect to you from my end.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yep, having trouble Joining... have tried three different download files

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Is it telling you something along the lines off, Cant install apps from this developer or not from the mac app store?

What error is it giving you when you try to install the files, ( after you download them, you have to open and click them to install )

Also, if your trying to connect with safari, use mozilla instead.. Or vice versa.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No error message, the gear-like image just turns and turns after I try each file download to enter.

I supposed I am defaulted to Safari -- how would I change this to Mozilla?

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Apologies for the delay.. I didnt see your message update on my reply screen till just now.

To use mozilla firefox, you would have to have it installed. The page below walks through installig it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac

If you already have firefox installed, then you would want to start firefox.. And then click this link from inside of firefox.

http://166.78.231.170:8040

The session id / password XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

says i am now connected

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Im connected to you.. Im trying to pull up the chat page by clicking on the screen support icon.

The grey and red squares interweaved, its in your dock towards the lower right.

also , I notice your running dual monitors.. That makes the screen im using look extremely small.

So teh remote session can run smoothly and so I can see, can we disable one of the monitors?

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes, you turn off or from contrel panel turn off?

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
The connection we had disconnected...

and i cant move or control anything on screen, when connected...

( generally, the best way I know of to turn off the monitor, so that you dont have to reconfigure it later , is t o shut down the mac. remove the other monitor , and then start the mac )

That way, were not changing any actual settings, and when you want to reconnect the monitor.. You would just shut down, connect it , and start , and it should work again.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Tell you what, something's wrong here, not sure what. Spent three hours with amazon yesterday, been two hours today. I have to teach class soon. Just can't understand what is so difficult. Very confusing, very time consuming. If I shut everything down, when I restart will all return to normal settings? Is there a rain check deal on this service, or if I have to quit now, is that it?

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

As far as a raincheck.. There isn't a time limit on the service.. If you have things to take care of, thats completely understandble.

And I agree, it shouldnt be as difficult as it is.. ( not the kindle app, and not our screen connection)

A few notes for next time.. Lets make sure we disconnect the second monitor before we start, as that wreaks havoc with the screen sharing software..

That being said, I suppose I will watch for your replies over the coming days.

( normally work about 10 hour shifts even on the weekends, do Im not too difficult to get a hold of )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Ok, what is the straightest route to you when I return?

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Apologies for the delay in responding, I didnt see your message earlier.

To get directly back to me, you would need to login to justanswer, then.. once loggedin.. You will see our question here with my face showing next to to.. Click reply to expert, and you will be right back to this question.

Dustin S