Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

I keep getting warnings that a disk was not ejected properly

I keep getting warnings that a disk was not ejected properly before unplugging or turning it off. The problem is that I have not ejected a disk. This has been happening on and off for months. I reply OK but the warning keeps coming back. I have to turn the machine off to get rid of the warning. Then the next day it comes back again

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

This issue occurs when you remove a usb flash drive or have a printer that has card slots.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run:

Then on that page click the button that says, "Join Session".

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I cant do it using Firefox

Thank you for the update.

Please, do not use Firefox.

Please, use Safari, and try again.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I do that

You can copy the address and paste in Safari or just go to this address in Safari:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried that but it wont let me connect

How does it not allow you to connect?

Does it give you a message or anything like that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a message saying something like an unidentified source. this stuff is all new to me .I am 80yrs and use my computer for e-mails, Photos and google for info?

Oh okay,

Does it ask you to run it or not? If so, just choose to run it.

Otherwise, please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left of your screen
- Click System Preferences
- Click the Security icon
- Choose the "Allow installations from anywhere" option (the bottom)
- Save and close that.
- Run the link again in Safari.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not ask me to run it and I do not want to allow installations from anywhere for security reasons. I have been told not to do this.

Okay, I am asking you to do that now. Once I am connected, I will put it back to how you had it before so no apps can be installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I will not do this as the Mac set up advice is not to do it. Cant you solve this problem another way. Have you ever com across this problem before. The notice I get seems to be a standard notice that is being sent by the computer in error over and over again. Sometimes it stops and then randomly starts up again.

Yes, the problem is that you are plugging in a usb flash drive, iPhone, or something else and then disconnecting it before first right clicking it and choosing Eject.

Yes, I have come across this same problem a few thousand times, just as I have remoted ino into computers a few hundred thousand times with no problems.

You can eject, as such:
- Open the Finder (Or in the top menu, click Go > All my files)
- On the left side of your screen, you will see the usb drive, phone, etc.
- Right click the phone, drive, usb device and choose Eject or "Safely Remove"

That is how you fix it.

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page:

Thank you again,
- Jason

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is that I never use a usb flash drive and dont own an Iphone or tablet. I have a printer and scanner permanently connectedand dont turn them off. I have not been downloading photos and I have not been disconnecting anything else.

I cannot eject or safely remove anything that is not connected.

This message appears randomly for no apparent reason

Thank you for the update.

It sounds like your printer may be setup to go into Standby after a certain amount of time.

In short, what you can do is just ignore the error as it is not an error, it is only a message.

The other option is to turn the printer off when you are not using it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is hard to ignore when it starts because it keeps on repeating which is very annoying. You may be correct about the printer. I am not aware of a timing for stand by mode and whether that would trigger the whole business. I will start turning it off regularly and see what happens.

I tried switching my printer on and off and checking for it in the finder. It does not seem to show up in Finder.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a message saying this has been referred to all experts so I guess I just wait now?

Wait for what?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I assume an answer to the problem. I guess the message (which also said I would be advised by e-mail and on this page) was an automated one ? You tell me.

Yes, that was an automated one.

Please, unplug your printer and see if that fixes the problem for a couple days.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Turned off and disconnected my printer. Lets wait and see.

Thank you.