John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

obtained second hand macbook pro, experienced user, trying

obtained second hand macbook pro, experienced user, trying to do fresh install, using reinstall os x, go through process, when use osx disc wont accept from point when put in details for app store, recovery HD is "locked" dont know what else to do ??
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

What version of OS X are you trying to install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any

Its a retina model so no hard drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any really

macbook retina so no hard drive

just going through set up and not getting anywhere as detailed above

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any really

macbook retina so no hard drive

firmware password XXXXX is set to off

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by no hard drive, are you saying it has an SSD in it?

When you are asked for the Apple ID, is this when trying to begin the installation or at the end of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its has a SSD drive

sorry meant no DVD drive

as I set up the computer and follow thru screens when I get to choose installation I choose OSX, recovery says locked, and when I put in my details for the app store they are rejected and cannot proceed

does that make sense

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that makes more sense. ;-)

Tell me what you see when doing the following;

Restart it and immediately press and hold the OPTION key on the keyboard and a graphical menu showing the bootable volumes should appear shortly. You may then release the Option key.

Select the “Recovery" option in the menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear

Select “Disk Utility,” and then click Continue.

What drives and/or volumes does it list in the sidebar at the left?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a lock comes up on the screen and a white box but cannot click to enter any info

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
It's not asking for a System Lock PIN Code, is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

grey screen, lock symbol with white box underneath with arrow on right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i inputted my password XXXXX it pops up to show the recovery disc then we go through the process as above

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but still stuck and still shows recovery HD locked

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so you DO know the firmware password XXXXX?

When you are booted to the recovery volume,

What drives and/or volumes does it list in the sidebar at the left of disk utility?

Is it only showing the Recovery volume or does it show a physical hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

shows physical hard drive

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Okay,

Are you able to erase/partition the physical drive?

Select your startup disk from the list on the left (usually Macintosh HD), and then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk (usually Macintosh HD), and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top-right corner of the screen).

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Once the re-install is complete, you will be asked to create a new user.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when erase partitions seperately can erase

when try to erase apple ssd it says disk erase failed couldnt unmount disk

sadly when I do all the suggesttions you ask, link to wifi etc and then go to disk installer get page entitled developer preview, asks to check and verify computers eligibility, then developer preview page, then developer preview page with disk choice to install but recovery HD is saying locked and the rest I have identified before and cant progress

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why is the recovery disk showing grey and locked out ??

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
The Recovery volume is a "special" volume and is read only - it can only be changed by OS X during installation and the user can not install TO it.

I'm starting to wonder if you have some sort of developer test version of OS X on this MacBook though... given the developer preview page and ID requirement.

Try Internet Recovery to see if you get a different result;

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold COMMAND + R + OPTION

It should ask to connect to wi-fi and then download a mini-recovery volume to install from...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

thats a new page so maybe thats the answer, the laptop was used by an IT programmer so maybe explains the test version of OSX

its downloading the mini recovery volume but looks like will take 34 mins

so may have to pick this up later

think you have solved it though, thanks for your help and guidance

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! ...and yes that would make sense then.

If you run into other issues, just let me know. I will be working for another 45-60 mins or so and then be back tomorrow.

Please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry