John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have a Mac OS X.4.11 (yep its old) - and I want to know

I have a Mac OS X.4.11 (yep it's old) - and I want to know if there is any software-free or for a fee-that will clean it up so it will run faster. Do I have to install a whole new operating system?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me if your Mac is a PowerPC or Intel based Mac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as a novice - I can tell you it was purchased by my late husband in I think 2001 - it has a tower and is a desktop. Is that a power PC or ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just answered this - I hope I haven't activated and paid for TWO accounts. My response was that the computer is a desktop - with a tower - my late husband purchased it I think in 2001?

Please confirm I only paid once!

Thanks, Beverly.

If it was purchased around 2001 then it's a PowerPC Mac.

Sadly, it's going to be near impossible to find useful third party utilities that will still run on this Mac but I can give you some free maintenance procedures to use that may help. Do you have the OS X 10.4 install discs handy?

Note: I don't have access to your account details as I am not an employee of JustAnswer but I only show one open question submitted from this account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - I was unable to find a lot of things after his death - So I guess it sounds like I am out of luck. Tell me how to find out if I was charged ONCE or TWICE.

IF I understand you correctly I will have to either purchase a whole new computer because this one is not updatable? OR IF I found the install discs maybe you could help me with some maintenance procedures.

Thanks for your reply

I can still give you a couple of maintenance procedures, actually.

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, can you tell me what it lists for Processor and Memory?

Note: You can contact customer support for account issues via telephone at 1.888.862.9212 in the US or [email protected] for email.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks John - for your quick responses and suggestions -

Processor 933 MHzPowerPCG4 2 MB L3 cache

Not a lot of memory I know.... 512 MB SDRAM

Can I maybe add more memory?

You're welcome!

You can indeed add memory to this computer. Due to the age I would be concerned how cost effective that might be, though. Likewise, the software will be limited to what it can run due to age and while there is a slightly newer upgrade of OS X that might be available for this unit (OS X 10.5), it too is severely limited by the same issues for the most part.

However, you can try the following to see if it will give you a small boost in efficiency.

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop.

It may take longer to boot to the desktop as it performs some maintenance routines in the background.

Once at the desktop;

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (Usually "Macintosh HD").

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac.

The above should clear temp files and cached data from the hard drive and then make sure the installed system has the proper conditions to run correctly. You can do this whenever you feel the need but rarely does it need done more than once a month, if that.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Printed this out and will try it - then be back to report - and rate...thanks

You are very welcome! I'll be here. Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that worked - I followed the instructions and it has restarted - can't tell if it will work faster - but DO appreciate your patience and follow-through. I gave you the top rating - because I believe you deserved it.

I hope I don't have to return - but if I do I'll request you.

Beverly - a 77 year old widow who teaches piano in semi-retirement and have been a long-time internet user (pretty much since the 90s - back in the old days - and MET my wonderful husband on a 'chat board' - they didn't have all the fancy stuff they do now - but it worked beautifully and maybe better than anything out there now. We were definitely lucky - always called it 'destiny' - he was in a different part of the state AND WORKED IN THE PRE DIGITAL COMPUTER INDUSTRY...Graphic Arts Union, Colortech, etc. And then shifted to digital graphics-cutting edge....he was a classy man. BLAH BLAH BLAH - you didn't need all that information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you a druid - or a real person?

Glad to hear you made it through, Beverly. I'm not sure how much of a performance boost that will give you but hopefully at least a little on that old Mac. It is nice when they just keep running and running.

Sometimes, technology can make the complicated tasks more simple but they can be simply complicated themselves, as well. ;-)

"Mac Druid" is just a little nickname I picked up over the years due to my use and service of Apple related products.

I didn't see the rating come through, if you could click it again on this post, that would be great. I believe after choosing the rating there is a submit or apply button, depending on which version of the site you see.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page: