John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

On my mac I always have things sorted by date so I can find

On my mac I always have things sorted by date so I can find my most recent folders fast - however most times my new files are saved with NO DATE and end up at the bottom of the list? What is the fastest way to find recently updated files on a mac -- the All My Files option is always WAY too slow.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

File should be saved with a date of some sort. However, you may be sorting by "Date modified". There are three other dates that can be used as a modifier (date created, date added, date opened).

When viewing the list of files in Finder, in List mode;

click View > Show View Options (or press COMMAND-J).

You can then add any of the new Date columns and try using those for sorting. One of them should give you the desired result.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks I added a few more columns to check - and I pressed Use as Default, however those settings are only for that one folder and not for all folders - how do I use the same settings for all folders?

You are very welcome!

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are using, please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10.8.5

Thanks.

"Use As Defaults" should work fine in a normal folder (not search results) BUT there is a caveat. It will not be applied to folder views that you've previously opened and/or modified. There is a work around if yo uare comfortable using Terminal.

In the Finder, click the Go menu in the menu bar and select Utilities.

Locate Terminal and run it.

Copy & paste the following command into the Terminal window that appears, and hit then return key:

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;

At the Password: prompt, carefully enter your admin password ( nothing shows on the screen) and hit the return key. When the default prompt, usually the $ sign, pops up, quit the Terminal app, and restart your Mac,

Open a Finder window, set the view options up the way you want, and click Use as Defaults. All subsequently opened or created folders *should* retain that view.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry