Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have mysteriously lost the ability to select an image and

I have mysteriously lost the ability to select an image and reduce or enlarge it by clicking and holding the corners. How I do I get that feature back.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

May I ask if you're using Windows XP, 7 or 8?

Providing you're using either of those, you can right click on the file of the image you want to resize and then click on Edit, this will open the image up with Microsoft Paint.

Once it's open with Microsoft Paint you have the ability to reduce or enlarge it by pressing Ctrl+W and setting the percentages in the boxes shown, it should say 100 for both top ones, that means 100% size, make it a bit bigger like 120 if you'd like the image to be enlarged by 20% or make it 80 if to reduce it by 20%

You can play around with the numbers until you get the size you want, if you want to resize it another way, you can instead of pressing Ctrl+W press Ctrl+A to select the whole image and then resize it with your mouse dragging the corners.

Let me know how this goes and if you require anymore information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on a MAC. I am looking for a different answer. I have always been able to reduce or enlarge an image in adobe illustrator without going to another program. I must have accidently clicked on something that changed that feature. I have always had it until last week. I am a graphic designer and I am constantly readjusting the size of images. I am just looking to get that feature back. It will not help me to go to another program and change the size by %.

No problem Leslie, I will move your question onto the Mac area so a Mac expert can guide you through the process of getting your system working like it was before.

Take care,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

You mentioned adobe illustrator.

Can you check what version of illustrator your using, so that I can help you with specific steps.

Also, what version of mac osx do you have.

Thank you,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin,

Thanks you for helping me. I have Mac OS X 10.6.8. I have

Illustrator CS. I think it is 11.0.0

Thanks Leslie, and before I suggest the repair I want to suggest, I have one more question thats important.

Is it only in illustrator that you can select the corners of images or pages or windows, and expand them / reduce them?

Or, has this issue spread to all windows on your mac?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin,

The problem is only with Illustrator.

Thanks Leslie..

There are three or four steps we can try to fix this.. Id like to start with one of the easier steps first.

( if this doesnt work, or if you cannot complete the step, dont despair, this is a full service operation. .I will help you till this is resolved )

If your familiar where your preferences folder is.. Close illustrator.

Then go to your preferences folder find this file, com.adobe.illustrator.plist

and trash it.

Then, start illustrator and try to drag the edges of an image to expand it.. Can you?

( the preferences folder is located in user/ library/ preferences )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going to be your challenge of the day! I need help finding the file. Am I going into my Mac HD to find this file? Not sure where to start finding it.

Hi Leslie, I love challenges..

And after were through, you will have learned a little bit about where your mac stores its files..

Yes.. First things first, go to your mac hd.. click it to open it

Then go to your users folder, then click on the username of the main mac account you use normally.

Inside that folder, click on the library folder, then inside the library folder.. click on the preferences folder.

Theres going to be a whole bunch of preference files in there , in alphabetical order.

What you will need to do, is go t hrough the list and locate

Trash that file..

Then start illustrator and test... ( if you still cant find the file, let me know!)

Dustin S

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller