Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Macbook OS 10.5.8 (2.GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz

My Macbook OS 10.5.8 (2.GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
was having trouble printing and giving a 9100 port error. My other computer is fine. In my system preferences, Printer Sharing was clicked on but a yellow exclamation point that said printer sharing was turned off, and I tried to select it by reclicking the checkbox but I guess that was the wrong thing. It got hung up. Now whenever I go into System Preferences or try to print anything, the Spinning Wheel comes on.
Why is this doing it, and what should I do?
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What model printer is it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brother 5370DW

.
Is it connected to the Mac with a cable?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have Ethernet connectivity via router

.
I apologize but since the machine is networked I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
I think you started a new question we were working on this previously. Turn off the printer and unplug from power for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done that. I have also tried turning off the router and reinitializing. Didn't help. Now I notice that I'm getting the spinning wheel whenever I go into the Sharing preferences panel and when I try to use my FTP client. And now I'm also getting some kind of Firewall alert that "Line Service (LPR) is starting on your Mac" It says "if you don't change your Firewall Settings the fierwall will block connections coming from all other computers in this service on your Mac. "

I've never gotten this kind of alert before and my computers really aren't networked, just sharing the router. It might have been printer sharing to an older printer several years ago, but it's not needed any longer.

You do not need Printer Sharing you are directly connected to the printer.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX on Verify -- was it supposed to ask to connect to some app on the Internet? I shoulda taken a screen snapshot before I clicked on yes... Now the verify button has been grayed out the last few moments and not doing anything that I can tell. Am I supposed to see Repair Permissions after I click on Verify?

No restart the computer and try again Click on Verify Disk NOT Verify Permissions, if that is OK THEN click on Repair Permissions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, let me explain, what just happened before your last reply. When I had clicked on Verify it was not a button in the Disk Utilities menu...when I had opened the DIsk Utilities app, some Norton Firewall or Antivirus window had opened up saying that an .app (I don't recall which) wanted to access and I thought it was related to Disk Utilities. I said yes, and it had a Verify button...and that stayed grayed out and did nothing....

When I got your response, I realized that I was NOT in the DIsk Utilites menu...but some type of dialogue box asking which image to choose...but it didn't matter , I couldn't choose anything, because Verify was grayed out...All I could click on was Cancel. Then it brought me to the Disk Utilities screen with the buttons you described.

My computer got hit by a virus a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't yet called Norton about to deal with...hope that's not the problem.

Now I've got the Disk Utility diagnostic message:

Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Invalid volume directory count. 629536 instead of 629537"

I didn't restart the computer when I saw that I got the actual Disk utilities screen...should I reboot and try it again?

Or, it's definitely a hard drive issue?

==================================

It's been a few moments. I see from your intstructions that I should try to repair it.

Oh, I see that the Repair Disk button is grayed out.

I don't think I have the original Installer disk to try to repair it... with Disk Utilities.

Thanks so much for your help. I truly appreciate it. This was good supplemental diagnostic testing that helped me out - thanks for your patience. I'm chatting with tech repair and they'll tell me if it's salvageable.

There are virtually NO viruses for Mac. Restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. If it starts up ok restart the normal way then let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I had gotten rid of a Trojan Maljava!Gen7 virus following Norton's instructions, but another I couldn't get rid of...can't remember the name of it. No I don't have the original System Install disk easily... I would really have to dig around for it if I did have it.

Ok those are Windows viruses which Norton will also find but they cannot affect your Mac. Restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. If it starts up ok restart the normal way then let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It takes a while to shut down, but now it the Apple logo is on the screen for still there... and the little cog is turning and turning... been a few minutes, enough for the fan to go on...(why does it sometime need to go on)

been about 4 minutes now... shoot! should I hold the power button to shut it down?

No if you held the Shift key while starting it is attempting repairs, let it go for at least a half hour
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks very much. I appreciate your time.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I got my user Login page which says "Safe Boot"...it needs a log in ... I hardly sign in to it... I usually never see this page.

Ok sign in and then restart the normal way. Then open Disk Utility again and Verify Disk just to check.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow! Now it says it appears to be OK! SmileSmileSmile

Thank you! AWESOME !!!! AND IT PRINTS!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

YOU DEFINITELY GET A BIG TIP...one that I can afford...the most I have ever paid out, and I can't afford much. Thanks so much.

Great thanks.!!!