John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have forgotten my Apple keychain PW for my Mac Book Aire.

I have forgotten my Apple keychain PW for my Mac Book Aire. How can I reset it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Is it only the password XXXXX the keychain itself or your user account password, as well?

Also, can you tell me what version of OS X you are running?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know it is the keychain. But just in case maybe we better assume the user account PW is also not working. I have Mountain Lion on both the iMac and Laptop,

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Lenor.

Try the following and see if it fixes the issue for you;

Shutdown your Mac

Restart

Then, press and hold the “Option” key as soon as you hear the startup chime.

When the boot menu appears, release the Option key and and select the “Recovery” volume in the boot menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL)

Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar the the top of the screen and select “Terminal”

Type the following at the prompt:

resetpassword

and press Return on the keyboard.

Select the Macintosh HD volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the Save button.

graphic

Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login with a working keychain password.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I am credited for my time.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,