Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

The Audio In My Macbook Air Is Not Working. What Can I Do?

Customer Question

Hi, my Macbook Air won't play audio. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

First, check your sound settings and confirm that your output is set to the correct settings. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Then choose Sound. Click on Output and make sure Internal Speakers is selected. If not, go ahead and select it

Customer :

Yes, that's done.

Michelle :

When you press volume up, are you getting a prohibitory sign on your volume icon?

Customer :

No. The audio also doesn't work when I plug headphones in.

Michelle :

But does it work when your headphones are unplugged

Customer :

No.

Michelle :

What operating system are you running?

Customer :

10.8.2

Michelle :

Have you recently installed applications or plug ins? When did this issue occur?

Customer :

I noticed it yesterday. I know it was working normally on Monday. I did install new software earlier this week.

Michelle :

Can you go back to your sound preferences again. In both the output and input section, can you check to see if the mute box is checked towards the bottom

Customer :

It's not checked in either place.

Michelle :

Ok good. I see you already reset your PRAM, next we will reset your SMC. Before we do that, lets check for updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. Are any available?

Customer :

Yes, several

Michelle :

Which ones are available?

Customer :

OS X update 10.8.5 , iTunes, Firmware 2.6, digital camera RAW, printer update, iMovie, Evernote, and Tweetdeck and iPhoto

Michelle :

The OS X update 10.8.5 and the firmware are important. Go ahead and install all of them. It will require a restart. Are you chatting from your computer now?

Customer :

yes

Michelle :

Ok so bookmark our chat before you install your updates so you can get back to me :)

Customer :

OKay, I'll be right back!

Michelle :

Now that your updates are complete, can you see if you have sound

Customer :

okay I'll check. No luck

Michelle :

Ok lets reset your SMC. Here is what you will need to do

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Connect your Charger to your computer
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

When your computer boots back up, check for sound
Customer :

no luck

Michelle :

Hmm when you press the volume up button, what icon appears

Customer :

The regular volume icon. It makes the little poppy sound to indicate that it's raising the volume but that's all I can hear.

Michelle :

Oh then you do have sound now if you hear the pop. Ok now open a new page and go to youtube and play a video

Customer :

I could always hear the pop, still no sound on youtube

Michelle :

Then there may be a settings issue. It is definitely not hardware related. Go back to your sound preferences again. Are there Soundflower or other external speakers listed

Customer :

Under "external"?

Michelle :

Under output

Customer :

I just "selected" it and it turned blue, it had been gray before. I selected "internal speakers"

Michelle :

Ok good now give your sound another try

Customer :

still no sound, and I can see that the blue turns back to gray where it says "internal speakers" it's like it's not saving the selection or something

Michelle :

It should turn grey that's normal. Ok lets move on to repairing your computer's permissions. This is done when the user is no longer able to perform task they were able to do in the past. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer :

This is so weird. I can play music from iTunes but no audio that accompanies video will play

Michelle :

In the left column, select macintosh HD and then at the bottom choose repair permissions. So you can play music, but you can not play videos. Or the video plays but not audio is attached?

Customer :

video plays but not audio. Repairing permissions now

Michelle :

Are these videos in iTunes?

Customer :

no, youtube

Michelle :

Do you have any video in iTunes that you can play so we can isolate your issue?

Customer :

i don't, i just looked

Michelle :

Do you have Chrome?

Customer :

i usually run Firefox

Michelle :

Try launching videos from Safari then

Customer :

didn't work in Safari

Michelle :

Click on this link and let me know if it plays audio http://vimeo.com/watch

Customer :

yep, worked fine. also could play fine from a video in iPhoto. Maybe youtube is broken!

Michelle :

You may have an issue with Flash. At least we isolated your issue and can definitely rule out hardware. Next, I will have you download chrome since flash is already installed. Click on this link and install chrome https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?hl=en&brand=CHNG&utm_source=en-hpp&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=en

Customer :

okay

Michelle :

Now go onto youtube and launch a video from chrome

Customer :

You did it! It worked! I have been thinking I should switch to Chrome...:)

Michelle :

Ok so then we know your issue is just with Safari. I LOVE chrome. I am all apple but chrome is the best. All that means is you will need to re-install Flash so safari and firefox can work

Customer :

Hey, you are terrific. Thank you so much for sticking with me.

Customer :

Okay, I'll reinstall Flash.

Michelle :

Go to the Adobe website. Click here http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Customer :

I installed it but there's still no sound on the the youtube videos. Should I shut down and restart?

Michelle :

Yes you should restart. If for some reason re-installing flash did not fix Safari, I have one more trick up my sleeve that we can try

Customer :

dang, still no audio

Michelle :

Ok lets delete the audio file. First, open Garageband on your computer. Opening Garageband searches for all of your sound files. You can then choose quit. Next, Open finder and click on Go in the top menu bar. Choose Go to folder and paste ~/Library. You should then see a Library folder. Within the folder, click on Preferences

Customer :

i don't see that in Go

Michelle :

It is in the top menu bar next to the apple logo. You will have to open finder or click anywhere on the desktop for the menu options to change

Customer :

okay I'm there

Michelle :

Within the preference folder locate Macromedia and trash it

Customer :

done

Michelle :

Now restart your computer and try safari *fingers crossed*

Customer :

do I empty the trash?

Michelle :

Yes please

Customer :

okay here we go

Michelle :

Okay..

Customer :

it worked!! I don't think it was the crossed fingers, though :) You are a rock star. Thanks so much!

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.