Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Hi! I am having quite an issue with exporting a large video from iMovi

Customer Question

Hi! I am having quite an issue with exporting a large video from iMovie. Every time it exports, it crashes on me. I've exported large movies before, no problem. But this one isn't working. I've worked on this for two weeks. and don't know what to do. Heeeellllllppppppp! Thanks in advance.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

First of all, please safeboot your mac and launch iMovie while you are in safemode. Try to export and check the result. Do you getting any error messages ? If so please give me the exact error message.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, sounds good. I'll follow these instructions and let you know the result. I may not get back to you right away because I have a child and can't always concentrate on the directions you give me. I hope that's okay. And second, how will I get back to our conversation once I reboot, as the instructions say?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Take your own time and let me know the result. Anytime you can post a reply to me and can continue our conversation. Just go to www.justanswer.com and login with your email and password XXXXX with us. Then open My Questions link and you can see this question's link there. Click on that link and you will get open this conversation and can post reply to me.

Also, you can use the reply to expert button on any of the emails you got from me through justanswer.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it's safe booted!

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Fine, what about the iMovie export from safemode ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes, I forgot that part. It's a little strange because it doesn't allow the movie to play. The screen on it is blank. But it's functional. Since it's a long movie, it'll take a while to export. I'll let you know if it's successful.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me know the result. If error occuring again, let me know the export progress percentage when it crash. (If it crashing when the progress is about 90% let me know it is crashing on export progress 90%)

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried exporting it a few times, and when I did, the progress bar came up for a few seconds, but then it disappeared. It didn't export. It didn't even begin an export.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Please save that project in a different name (use Save As). Close and re-open iMovie. launch the newly saved project. Play it on the timeline and make sure there is no errors with the source video(s). Then try again to export and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see a 'save as' option in imovie. Usually it just saves the project automatically. Where is it exactly?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I think yu are using iMovie 11. There is no Save or Save As option in iMovie 11. Please use FILE/DUPLICATE option.

regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is Imovie11. I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that! And yes, I see the 'duplicate project' option. but it's not highlighted as a choice. It doesn't allow me to choose it.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Please make sure your project is open. Then only it enable.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's open as if I could edit it or export it if I wanted to. It doesn't show a picture in the upper right screen like it normally does though. It's black. And the sound doesn't play either. It didn't do this before safe mode.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now restart the system. Boot normally. Open the project. Duplicate it. Close the project and open duplicate project. try to export. Let me know the result.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I did all that you told me to do. It's attempting to export the duplicate now. I'll let you know if it's successful or not.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I am waiting to hear from you.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to add that since it's a longer movie, it may take a while. Last time, it took a few hours before it crashed. I'm assuming it's okay to wait that long between conversations.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Its okay, I can wait. If I go offline, you should wait for the reply from me.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just came back to my computer and it shut down again.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it sounds like there is some corruption in your source video or project. What is the format of source video you are using ? Is it MOV ? If it is in another format like AVI or MPEG or MP4 first convert the video to MOV. You can do it with the help of Quicktime. What you need to do is open up the video in Quicktime and Export it with Quicktime as a .mov file. Then import that mov file into iMovie. Make the edits and try to export again.

If you are using a mov format video and it is crashing surely it is because of an errored project or source video. Sometimes your source video may corrupted sometimes a transition or title in the project may the cause.

A lot of people complaining about Organic Main Title crashes their project. So if you are using that on your project change it and try the export again.

If it not helps, Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it. If iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project not because of that video file itself. You need to create a new project and try exporting again. (If it crashing, the problem is with the source video. You need to make your file piece by piece, and use those video pieces on a new project.)

If it not helps. try the suggestions in this discussion.

Regards
Jins

===========================================================================================================

Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea what format it's in. See, that's the problem. I'm trying to export it to another file. I'm trying to export it to quicktime and it crashes. So I can't just open it in quicktime because it hasn't been converted yet.

Right now, from what I'm aware of, it's not in any kind of format other than simply a project in imovie. It's not letting me export it to make it a format, whether it be a movie, an mp4, or anything else. It crashes.

I've already removed the organic tiles as well.

That discussion you linked to me is a good one. I already saw it however. That's how I discovered the problem with the organic tiles.

I'll try the desktop thing and see if it works. If all else fails, I might just take it to the apple store. :-/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Haven't heard from my specialist in about 12 hours. The info given was good info, but it didn't help me solve my problem.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Actually, I had a friend come over who has a mac, and it appears that they have helped me solve the problem. I wish I switched experts sooner cuz I know you guys are great. I just waited too long.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.

Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You guys are awesome, anyways, trust me. Next time, this'll be my first source to go to for help. (hopefully there won't be a next time though!)

How does this effect the billing since the problem was solved by my friend? I mean, honestly, you guys did help me a little bit. But I'm not sure how that works.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I can send up a refund request for you or you can just leave the amount in your account. You can use the amount later for another question, if you wish.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I'd like to do a refund request, please. And yes, awesome- I will definitely contact *you* next time if I need any more help. You're quick!

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.