Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I moved my google spreadsheets from my google drive to my computer

Customer Question

I moved my google spreadsheets from my google drive to my computer hardrive because my google drive was running out of space and then deleted them from my google drive. I now cannot access the files. Is there anyway of retrieving them or converting them to excel to view them? I have two years of data that may potentially be lost. :-/
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You said you moved them to your computer hard drive correct? What folder did you move them to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I moved them to a folder on the desktop of my Mac laptop.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And you say they are not there now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they are now on my desktop but when I click on them I get this message "We're sorry, a server error occurred. Please wait a bit and try reloading your spreadsheet." I then tried to move them back onto my Google drive but when I try to open the spreadsheets I get this message, "No preview available." I fear that the originals were deleted permanently and all I have are the links.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

However, when I moved them to my desktop from my drive Google automatically removed them from the drive to the trash so I assumed it was safe to permanently delete them.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes all you downloaded were links, no actual files. Sorry. See here:

Moving any files out of your Google Drive folder will cause their counterpart files on the web to be moved to the trash. If you then purge the trash, those files will become permanently inaccessible. Because the files in your Drive folder are essentially links to files that exist online, moving these files back into your Drive folder after purging the trash online will not restore the files, as their online counterparts will have been deleted.