Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I cant remember my administrator password XXXXX my mac and cannot

Customer Question

I can't remember my administrator password XXXXX my mac and cannot download or update anything. can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is Cris and I'll be glad to assist you.

Do you remember setting a admin password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i thought so

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
OK, see if maybe you don't have a password.

When you get the password prompt to install a application leave it blank and hit enter.

Let me know if that works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this encounter was not helpful and i hope I'm not taken advantage of with my credit card information.

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.

To any problem you must first troubleshoot the issue before finding a solution. On the older version of Mac OSX they don't require you to set a admin password.

But when installing a application they prompt for login credentials. If no password was ever set then leaving it blank would get you pass the prompt.

Did it work for you or not?