Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am a professional Editor using Final Cut Studio (2 x 2.8

Customer Question

I am a professional Editor using Final Cut Studio (2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Tower with 12 GB ram) and have never had issues with my machine or Pro-applications. Yesterday I was trying to transcode .wmv files to prores and was tinkering around with MPEG streamclip and Handbrake and VLC... after all this tinkering I used Handbrake to convert to h.264 then MPEG streamclip to convert to ProRes422.

After the conversions were finished... I could not open FCP or any of the FC Studio Applications. They ALL crash. From the crash log Im getting a "memory" error. It says "Final cut pro quit unexpectedly while using the KGCore plug-in". DVD studio pro , compressor all fail to launch...

I reinstalled the entire FCStudio bundle and still no luck... any ideas?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Hello Chris, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only silly question is the unasked one.

First I suggest some basic maintenance.
Repairing permissions, pram reset followed by a SafeBoot.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
A SafeBoot is done by holding the Shift key during startup, it takes a little longer and should show a progress bar and say, in erd, on the login screen 'SafeBoot'.
You said you had done the pram but it won't hurt to do it again, permissions are a big thing also.
Do thoes three things and let me know, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I just reset PRAM and am not in Disk Utility and repairing permissions. I forgot to add - whenever I open Final Cut - It doesnt crash every time. Most of the time it doesnt crash - I can see the two words on the top bar of my screen... "Final Cut Pro" and "help"... Where normally the FCP box will appear and load, then I see Final Cut Pro, File, Edit, View, etc...

Also, I have to force quit the FCP application. It will not "Quit" from the Final Cut Pro drop down...

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I use Handbreak and VLC so I don't think that is an issue.

Did you track done all the parts and trash them before reinstalling?

WHat version of OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac Version 10.8.5

I used software to uninstall FCP. It is supposed to find all the folders and remove everything...

after PRAM, safe mode restart, and disk permissions, Im still having same issues...

thanks for working on this!

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It acted the same in SafeBoot as normal then?
Usually a different result is seen.
What did you use to uninstall? AppZapper?

I think you may need to reinstall OS X at this point. It will give you a whole new OS X but will not harm any data.
I assume that you backup for the just in case.

This Apple article explains how and what will happen better than I can type it.

Should that fail then I suggest a shut down and reseating the RAM.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. I tried to open Adobe After Effects and that behaves the same way... It must be a OS issue then... not FC Studio...

I am going to back up my Boot Drive and then try to reinstall the OS.

will let you know what happens...

In Him,

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I think so also Chris, having repaired permissions it is ready.

He is risen. I will be away for a while so do not hurry.

Please keep me posted.