John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

John T. F., You helped me with several software questions

Customer Question

John T. F.,

You helped me with several software questions recently and now I have another one. I am having trouble navigating several websites that require newer versions of browser software than mine. I am currently using Firefox V.3.6.28 and Safari V.4.1.3 on a G4Mac running OSX 10.4.11. One website said Chrome was also an option that I could use, but I don't know how to find the highest version of Chrome that will run under my system. Can you tell me what it is and how to download it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello!

Do you know why the websites are failing, such as an Adobe Flash requirement, etc... or just generally not working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

They didn't mention Adobe Flash, so I think it is a general problem due to the age of my browser versions. I was on the www.CenturyLink.com website, which provides telephone and internet services, and it was unresponsive when using Firefox, and said that they couldn't establish a secure connection while I was using Safari. They suggested I try Chrome.

Thanks, Gary.

Your usage of 10.4 on a PowerPC G4 Mac will pose difficulties. Sadly, Chrome will not work on your Mac due to this reason.

Also, due to internal site issues ironically, I can not access our previous discussion currently.

Had I recommended TenFourFox to you? It is a custom build of a newer release of Firefox that still works on older systems.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

John T. F.,

Your suggestion to try TenFourFox worked perfectly and I could navigate the CenturyLink website successfully. You had recommended it in an earlier question and answer, but I hadn't tried to use it before.

Would you recommend that I use TenFourFox V.17.0.8 all the time in place of Firefox or Safari?

Thanks,

Gary F.

Great glad to hear it worked!

Yes it's much newer than the browsers you've been running so as long as it keeps working for you then I'd say keep using it.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

John T. F.,

A strange thing is happening now whenever I launch either Firefox or TenFourFox. Google is supposed to appear as my 'Homepage", but it doesn't. It's lshown as a tab, but a Mozilla appears as the homepage. How can I "redesignate" Google as my Homepage so that it appears when I launch one of these two browsers?

Gary F.

there should be an option in Preferences to change the homepage of each (so in Firefox, for example, click Firefox in the menu bar and then Preferences).

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your last answer regarding setting the Homepage at start-up for Firefox and TenFourFox, and for your follow-up reminder that you are available for more questions. I do have another question.

Under preferences, I selected the Google website as my Homepage and the option to have my Homepage open upon start-up of the program, in both Firefox and TenFourFox. I am getting an inconsistent result when I launch these two programs. Very often, the first page to open (and the first tab) is a Mozilla Firefox page, or a TenFourFox page, instead of the Google page that I have selected in Preference in both applications. The second tab is always the Google page and I have to close the first tab. Sometimes however, it works correctly in both applications, and the Google page opens as my Homepage first as it should. What could be causing this inconsistency and can I eliminate it, so that only the Google page opens upon launching these two applications? I have double checked preference and they are set correctly.

Thanks,

Gary F.

Hi Gary!

Is it the same page you get if you type about:home in the address bar and press Enter?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

John,

No. If I type "about:home" in the address bar I am told it is not a valid URL, and if I type "about home" (without the colon) in the address bar I receive results to a Google search.

In Firefox, if it doesn't take me right to Google when I launch it, but instead shows that as the second tab, then the page that open as the first tab is a Firefox page with this URL: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/.

In TenFourFox, if it doesn't take me right to Google when I launch it, but instead shows that as the second tab also, then it usually attempts to open an unidentified page that never completes opening. I have to close the first tab in order to eliminate that failed attempt, and then I am left with just Google as my first tab.

I have noticed an interesting pattern however. If Google is the first tab, either because it opened as it is supposed to, or because I closed the erroneous tab moving Google to the first position, then after quitting the browser and relaunching it, Google usually opens as the first tab as my Homepage like it is supposed to do.

In other words, this problem is inconsistent and maybe that is why it's hard to put your finger on it. I can live with it, but I'd like to find the solution if there is one and have both browsers open with Google up first upon launching them.

Thanks for your help.

Gary F.

Okay, I know there is a random issue in Firefox where this occurs but I actually haven't seen it myself.

I might recommend going through the following links (to prior discussions on mozilla.org) to see if something is helpful because the fix seems slightly different in each case.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/959721
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/959413

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'll give the links a try.

Gary F.

You are welcome and good luck with that one!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am having a problem with iPhoto ever since I transferred photos from a CD to iPhoto. The transfer appeared to work perfectly, because afterwards all the photos appeared in the iPhoto window as thumbnails as they usually do and I could work with them.

The problem began when I attempted to eject the CD. I heard a strange sound and it did not eject. My computer was frozen at that point and my cursor turned into the "spinning wheel". I shut down my computer using the on/off switch. When I restarted the computer, I was then able to eject the CD. I launched iPhoto and received a message window which said "Your photo library is either in use by another application, or has become unreadable".

How do I gain access to my photo library, which appears to still contain all my images, and have them appear as thumbnails once again?

Gary F.

Hi Gary,

What version of iPhoto do you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

V.9.4.2

If iPhoto is locking up or producing odd errors when starting/syncing, a rebuild of your iPhoto Library may help.

Rebuild iPhoto Library:

Quit iPhoto if it is open

Hold down the Command and Option keys on your keyboard and start iPhoto

Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library

A dialog will appear with rebuild options listed; Start with the first option.

Click Repair or Rebuild

The process may take a few minutes to complete.

If that doesn’t work then repeat the process once again, this time choosing the 2nd option (and repeat for 3rd and 4th option until successful).
John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

John,

The fourth option worked! "Repair Permissions" failed. "Rebuild thumbnails" failed. " After these two options failed I receive the original message as before which said "Your photo library is either in use by another application, or has become unreadable". "Repair Data Base" didn't appear to do anything and finally, "Rebuild Data Base" worked all the way through to a successful conclusion.

What do you think caused the Data Base to become corrupted or damaged in the first place? Was it the failure of the CD to eject properly while iPhoto was open? This has never happened before.

Thank you very much for helping me to restore my iPhoto Library.

Gary F.

You are very welcome!

In some cases iPhoto can develop a problem if it locks up while importing photos. Since the CD would not eject properly it's possible it was still in use by iPhoto for done reason.

Hopefully you will not have any other issues with it though.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

John,

That makes sense and is probably exactly what happened. I left you excellent feedback and a little tip. Thanks once again.

Gary F.

Thanks very much, Gary. It's greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

John,

The last time you helped me solve a Mac problem was Sept. 22, 2013, so it's been a while since I needed your help. I am still in Mexico where I don't have access to good tech support, or an Apple store outlet, and that is a problem as I would like to buy the new iPhone 5S, which brings me to my question.

My current phone is a Nokia N73, which is a very old model and not a true "smart phone". I have a lot of contact information stored on it with a lot of individual details and information for each contact, as well as photos for "wallpaper" options and standard photos that I've taken with the phone. I can connect the phone to my G4 Mac with a USB cable and have backed up the data on the SIMM card as well as the phone memory to a folder on my computer. This phone fills the SIMM card first with data, then begins to use the phone memory when the SIMM card is full, so I am assuming that I am getting all the information from both storage areas when I perform the back-up.

My question is: What is the "best" way to transfer the data on the Nokia phone to my new iPhone 5S? I don't want to loose any of the data or have the contact information transferred without the identifying organization that was used when first installing it on the Nokia device.

Does a successful data transfer require using specialized software from Nokia, or Apple, or both? Can I get help from Nokia and Apple prior to buying the new iPhone?

That's my general problem and I hope there is a fairly simple answer to how to perform this process.

Thank you in advance.

Gary F.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gary,

To clarify, you have a Mac which uses a Power PC-based G4 processor and is still running OS X 10.4.11?

The first thing you would want to do is import the data from the Nokia and into a format that your Mac understands. How did you back up the data?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

John,

Yes, my G4 Tower uses a Power PC processor and is running OS X 10.4.11.

I was able to make a successful connection via USB cable from the Nokia phone to my computer. The icon for the Nokia mounted on the desktop. I double clicked on the Nokia icon and copied the contents to a new folder on my computer's desktop, in the same order as they appeared in the Nokia folder.

The data appears to have copied perfectly to the back-up folder on my desktop, and the only doubt I have is whether or not the data stored on the SIMM card in the phone was included along with the data stored in the "phone memory".

Is there some way to confirm that question through Nokia customer support?

Thanks, Gary.

My biggest concern is the data being in a format that your Mac properly recognizes. Normally, I would recommend something like The Missing Sync for Nokia as this will pull all data from the Nokia and convert it into content that your Mac understands:
http://www.markspace.com/products/nokia/nokia-sync-mac-overview.html

However, you actually have a much larger issue here. The iPhone 5S requires an Intel based Mac running the latest version of iTunes and your current Mac is simply incapable of supporting it. The alternative would be to sync data with iCloud and use that to get it onto the iPhone but your computer won't support iCloud either.

Can you tell me if there is anything in your Nokia back up that is identifiable as a contacts database, such as a vCard (or .vcf file)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

John,

This sounds pretty grim so far since I can't afford to buy a new Intel iMac, but I checked the information in the files I transferred from the Nokia to my desktop, and sure enough there are files in the "Contacts" folder that are ".vcf" files. At least that is the appendage to their file name.

If I double click one of the .vcf files, Address Book attempts to add them as a "New Card" to my address book. I just cancelle that request.

All the photo images appear in a separate folder entitle "Images" and are recognizable JPEG files.

Does this information help us find an answer to how to make the data transfer to the new iPhone?

Gary F.

Yes, I think that might help us a bit.

You would indeed need to load those Contacts into your Address Book.

Then in the menu bar click Address Book > Preferences > vCard

Make sure a check mark is next to all relevent options for exporting vCards and then close Preferences.

In the Address Book, select all contacts that you wish to transfer to your iPhone 5S.

Then click File > Export... > Export vCard...

This should produce a single new .vcf file containing all your Contact data.

Once your iPhone 5S is set up you can email this .vcf file to yourself and then import it into the Contacts app on the iPhone. Done deal!

For everything else, you can probably use a service like Dropbox to get your images, etc over to the iPhone 5S. There is a Dropbox app for the iPhone and I think you should be able to use the Dropbox website to load the data from your Mac.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

John,

I must say I am encouraged by your last response, but still feel a little confused and concerned about the prospect of transferring my old phone's contacts, in the form they now appear on the Nokia, to a new iPhone. Are the options secure enough, or plentiful enough that you think I can do this, and not take too great a risk in buying the iPhone 5S? In other words, I don't need an app like "Missing Sync", or "Mobiledit" (which was also recommended by a tech here) to make my old contact files recognizable, and I won't need to buy a new Intel Mac?

Gary F.

No worries, Gary.

The proof is in the pudding in this case. If you can import them into your current Address Book on the Mac and have them recognized properly there then getting them over to the iPhone 5S is truly the easier part. I don't think you would have an issue in that regard and even if you did, once they are in the Mac's Address Book then that opens up other possibilities in the event alternatives should be needed.

My main concern was that they were copied from the Nokia in a usable format and it sounds as though they are...

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

John,

Thank you for your efficient help once again. I needed to know I was on reasonably sound footing before jumping into a new two-year contract and the iPhone, and you have alayed my fears. Now, I'm off to get my new toy and will probably have a few more questions for you after getting acquainted with it. I am really looking forward to my first iPhone experience.

I will leave an "Excellent" rating once again for your service and a bonus.

Gary F.

Thanks very much, Gary! It's greatly appreciated

As you may know, you are a subscription customer and when receiving more than one answer, please feel free to rate each answer received if satisfactory, as you feel appropriate.. You will not incur any additional charges.

I always enjoy working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question, such as about your iPhone. You can submit new questions directly via the following page and if you request me by name it is usually held for me:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

You last helped me on December 4th and resolved my questions well. Now, I have a completely new problem to solve that is very critical as it is preventing me from using my G4 Desktop computer at all, and I am writing to you on my G4 Titanium Powerbook as my backup.''

The current problem started a few days ago and came out of nowhere without any warning. It began when my monitor, which is the 21" model of the same generation as the G4 Tower, with a clear plastic frame, suddenly went dark for a second or two and then reappeared again. It's as if it goes to sleep from lack of activity, but in this case it happened when I was using the computer. I hit the space bar thinking that it was putting itself into sleep mode, but that didn't seem to have any effect on when the monitor lit up again. It just came back on when it felt like it.

Since this problem started, it has gotten progressively worse each day, with the failures of the monitor taking place more frequently and failing again after shorter periods of time. It's as if something is wearing out bit by bit. When the monitor finally stopped coming back on at all, I had to shut down my computer using the on/off switch, then restart it. The monitor would always work at first after a restart, but today that has stopped working too. Now, I can restart the computer and it appears to be starting up normally, but the monitor does not respond in any way.

I should add, that when the monitor went off while I was using the computer, writing a document or printing a file, the computer was not effected by the loss of the monitor and continued to accept the words I was writing blindly, or finished printing the file, as if nothing was wrong. When the monitor came back on I could read the additional words I had typed while it was off.

There is some kind of a device (small plastic box from Apple) in between the monitor and the computer. The cables from the monitor connect to it on one side and come out the other side to connect to the video port on the back of my G$ Tower. I thought I should mention that too.

I am still living in Mexico, as I was when we last exchanged questions and answers in 2013, so I don't have access to another monitor, computer, or the small connecting devise I mentioned.

What do you think is causing this problem and how can I fix it? I am really up the proverbial "creek without a paddle" right now, and need to be able to use my desktop machine.

Thanks,

Gary F.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

Thanks,

Gary F.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Gary!

Can you give me the serial number for your Power Mac desktop computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

I had to disconnect all the cables to the G4 Tower in oreder to get it out of it's place on the desk, because the I.D. Tag was on the back in extremely small letters, but here they are:

The Serial No. is: XB24907TLKB

The Model No. is: M8570

The EMC No. is: 1914 It states that it was "Assembled in the USA".

The processor is a G4 1.25 GHZ

There are two 120 GB hard drives, one for OS9 and one for 0SX.

I hope that gives you the information that you need. I'll leave the computer disconnected and out of it's space just in case you want me to look at something inside of the case.

Do you want me to try and identify the device in the middle of the connection between the monitor and the computer's video port?

I'll await your next reply.

Gary F.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

The Serial No. is: XB24907TLKB

The Model No. is: M8570

The processor is a G4 1.25 GHZ

I'll await your next reply.

Gary F.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX shouldn't need anything else off the tower. If you can find a model number off the monitor, however, that would be great.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

Somehow your reply came through to me late, so please disregard my last reply regarding not receiving your answer. I will look on the monitor for it's model number and send it right away.

Gary F.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

The monitor is called a "Cinema HD Display" and is Model No. M8536.

I hope that you can figure out why it has stopped responding to the computer start-up signal, so that I can get back to work.

Thanks,

Gary F.

Okay, it looks like you have a Power Mac G4 "Mirrored Drive Door" Mac that has both an ADC and a DVI video port. The display you have should use an ADC connector and connect directly to the Mac... so if you could provide more info about the box/adapter in between them then that would be great.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

You are exactly right about the type of Mac I have, and now that you mention it, I remember that the device I have been referring to in my previous remarks is in fact a ADC connector. I will pull it out and see what information I can get off of it. I'll write again soon.

Gary F.

Thanks, Gary.

Is there more than a single cable coming from the display to the ADC Connector?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

The DVI to ADC adapter is Model No. A1006. EMC No. 1918. Serial No. 55040RUQ97.

There is a single cable coming out of the monitor, which plugs into the ADC Adapter. There are two cables coming from the computer. One from the video port and one from a USB port (for the synchronizationj of color). These two cables are combined into one larger cable that is a permanent part of the adapter (not plugged in to an inlet). So, simply stated, the computer connects to the Adapter via the video port and a USB port, the monitor connects to the Adapter with one cable, and the Adapter has a power cord out to a surge protector. I hope I said that clearly.

Do you think the DVI to ADC Adapter has slowly failed and that is why the monitor went on and off intermittently for a few days before it stops coming on completely?

Gary F.

Gary, does your computer only have a DVI port on the video card? This model normally has both a DVI and an ADC port on the same card.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

I checked the owner's manual and it says my G4 has both an ADC port and a DVI port. It mentions using a DVI to ADC adapter only when you are connecting a 2nd ADC display to the DVI port.

The ADC port is the one on the left on the back of my computer, and the DVI port is to the right of it on the same level. Does that indicate that they are on the same video card?

IMPORTANT: The cable from the adapter to the computer has been connected to the DVI port, not the ADC port. Why would that be since I am using an Apple monitor? There must be a reason why I needed to use the adapter with this monitor and connect to the computer through the DVI port.

I seem to remember something about this monitor not being compatible in some way, and hence the need for the adapter. I think that even though it was an Apple monitor, that this model needed to connect through the DVI port. Maybe it was due to the USB cable splitting off from the video cable in order to coordinate the color on the display with the color in the files.

Gary F.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

It's about 7:07 PM, CST and I have to go out for a few hours. Please send your answer when it is ready and I will try to read it and reply when I get back later this evening.

Thanks,

Gary F.

Gary,

I'm not aware of any reason why that monitor would not work directly with the G4 using the ADC port. The only requirement I know of off hand is that you must have a video card with at least 32MB and yours should have that...

I'd like you to try removing the DVI-ADC adapter from the equation temporarily for troubleshooting purposes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

I took out the old DVI-ADC Adapter as you suggested and connected the monitor directly to the ADC port. It appears to work fine now.

I discovered that I had a "back-up" DVI-ADC Adapter in storage here in Mexico, but I have not installed it because the monitor is working fine without it. The Apple Owner's Manual states that the adapter is used for connecting a 2nd monitor to my computer through the DVI port. It doesn't say anything about using the adapter in order to connect the monitor to the computer with an additional USB cable that is part of the DVI-ADC Adapter, and is supposed to enhance the color co-ordination between the monitor and computer. That was the reason I was told to use the adapter in the first place many years ago when I first got this system.

I examined the appearance of the desktop as well as a few photo files I have been printing, to see if they appeared any differently now that I am not using the adapter with it's USB cable connected to the computer. Both the desktop, photos files, and printed copies of the photos look the same as before, so maybe it's not a meaningful thing after all. I won't really know until I work on a new photo file in Photoshop and make color or other appearance modifications to it and then make a printed copy, in order to see is the final result is in the same neighborhood as the photos edited while using the adapter. Does that sound correct to you?

I'll save the 2nd "back-up" adapter just in case I add a 2nd monitor, or in case the new photos appear to be out of sync with their appearance on the screen or their appearance in a print.

I have some additional questions for you in other subject areas, but I'll close out this one with this reply so that you can receive a rating and credit for your work.

Thanks for taking the time and being so thorough in helping me resolve the problem with my monitor. I appreciate it very much.

Gary F.

Glad to hear it's worXXXXX, XXXXX!

The ADC port should be all you need for accurate color correction. There may have been specific software that made use of that specialized adapter with the USB connection but I'm not aware of it.

If the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

If you run into further problems, let me know!

John T. F., Mac Druid
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

John,

Thanks for your guidance in getting my monitor working again. I hope you are right about the color correction working accurately without the adapter. I left an "Excellent" Rating as usual and a small tip in appreciation of your services.

I'll contact you again regarding my other questions in a short time. Now, I have to catch up on my work which was interrupted by the monitor problem.

Gary F.

Glad to hear it's still working for you, Gary. Good luck with the back log of work, as well. :-)