Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

Hi Michelle, I have an iMac 9,1 Core2Duo 2.66 (with 8GBs

Customer Question

Hi Michelle,

I have an iMac 9,1 Core2Duo 2.66 (with 8GBs ram). I'm running Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8).

I'd like to purchase and use Adobe CS6 Production Premium on this machine. But CS6 requires 64 bit processing. All the other specs from Adobe check out on this machine.

The iMac says it has 64 bit processing, but in System Profiler, when I click on System Software Overview, it says:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Does that mean my iMac is not running 64 bit even though the processor is able to run 64 bit?

Is there a way to download a 64 bit kernel extension for a 2009 iMac Core2Duo?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

10.6 and higher does have the ability to run 64 Bit applications. You will just need to enable it first. Let to a test run using safari so you will understand how to launch an application using 64-bit Open your finder window, click on your applications folder and locate safari

Michelle :

Select Safari and then choose File<Get info. Under the Label color Boxes, you will see "Open in 64-bit mode" The application will then always open in 64 bit mode. You also have the option of booting your entire machine in 64-bit mode by holding down both the 6 and 4 keys during startup.

Customer:

Thanks Michelle. That worked!

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. Not at the moment. It's good to know you're here, though.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

You are very welcome Jim. Enjoy your new Adobe Suite :)